Women’s History, Organizations and Projects, I-N
INDIANA ASSOCIATION OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS FOR WOMEN. Collection, 1971-1982. M 0648. Sixteen boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women was organized in 1970 by 17 Indiana colleges. Its purpose was to establish policies by which women’s intercollegiate sports in Indiana would be governed and to organize state championship tournaments for women. After 1982, the NCAA absorbed women’s collegiate sports activities and the IAIAW ceased to exist. The collection includes minutes, correspondence, reports, general records, and scholarship and tournament information.
INDIANA BROADCASTERS PIONEERS FOUNDATION, INC. Oral History Project Collection, 1994-1997. M 0744. Two boxes, 86 audiotapes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Historical Society awarded the Indiana Broadcasters Pioneers Foundation Inc. of Carmel a Clio grant in the amount of $25,000 on Aug. 17, 1994. The purpose of the grant was to assist with interviews of Indiana’s early broadcasters and with the preparation of a book-length manuscript on the state’s broadcast pioneers. Interviewees include Barbara Boyd, Bettie Engelbrecht, Marthabel Geisler and Ann Wagner Harper.
INDIANA COUNCIL OF CHURCHES. Records, 1827-1980. M 0344. Twenty-five boxes, seven volumes. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-18. The Indiana Council of Churches and its predecessors have worked to promote greater understanding among denominations and to provide an agency through which the denominations cooperate in special projects. Included in the records of the Indiana Council of Churches is The Indiana Churchwoman, newsletter of the Indiana Council of Church Women (1941-1955).
INDIANA HISTORICAL SOCIETY WORLD WAR II PROJECT. Records, 1941-1991. M 0652, BV 3000, OM 0318. Eight boxes, one volume, five folders. Collection guide online. In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of World War II the Indiana Historical Society solicited accounts by Hoosiers of their memories of that conflict. More than 300 responses were received, including letters, memoirs, photographs and documents. A special commemorative issue of Traces of Indiana and Midwestern History was published (Fall 1991, Volume 3, Number 4), and materials collected were turned over to the IHS Library. The collection includes materials relating to women and their activities on the home front as well as in the front lines, representing those who had served or worked with the Air Force, air transport, communications, factories, ferry pilots, finance, the Navy, nursing and the Red Cross.
INDIANA JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Records, 1845-1998. M 0743. One hundred forty boxes, 54 bound volumes, 40 reels of microfilm, 30 cassette tapes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Jewish Historical Society was founded in 1972. Its mission is to collect, preserve and publish material concerning Jewish life in Indiana. The collection includes material from Jewish organizations and individuals from across Indiana. Material related to women includes items from the Congregation B’nai Jacob and Hadassah (Fort Wayne), the National Council of Jewish Women, the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society (Columbia City), Temple Israel Sisterhood, Sinai Temple Sisterhood (Marion), B’nai Brith Women and other groups.
INDIANA MEDICINE ORAL HISTORY PROJECT. Records, 1992-1995. M 0697. Three boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Medicine Oral History Project focused on physicians who practiced or received their medical school education in Indiana. Participants were asked not only about their individual careers, but also about changes in the fields of medicine and medical education. Topics included family histories, medical school education, practicing medicine, how medicine has changed since the beginning of the century, rural medicine, alternative medicine, medicine during the Great Depression and World War II, minorities in medicine, the I.U. School of Medicine, and the founding of Winona Hospital. Interviewees included physicians Mary Keller Ade, Olga Bonke Booher, Naomi Dalton, Eleanor Deal, Dorothy Kreitl, Laverne Miller, Margaret Newhouse and Edith Shuman.
INDIANA NOW. Records, 1960-. M 0583, CT 0773-0782, CT 0784. Nineteen boxes, 11 cassette tapes. Collection guide online. The National Organization for Women is a women’s rights group formed to lobby for the Equal Rights Amendment and other feminist objectives. The Indianapolis chapter was formed in 1972. The collection consists of correspondence between members and other groups, state conference minutes and budget materials, and state and national legislative contacts. The collection also includes NOW bylaws and membership lists, campaign information, and news releases and publicity for mobilization meetings, marches and special events. Other material found in the collection includes newspaper clippings, articles, brochures and photographs.
INDIANA POSTCARDS: BRENNER AND DOBBINS. 1903-1980. P 0336. Two boxes. No collection guide available. Aluhah Gertrude Dobbins and John Brenner Jr. worked as stenographers for various firms in Indianapolis from ca. 1906 to the late 1930s. It is not known if these individuals were friends. The collection contains 122 mechanically reproduced postcards and 59 photographic postcards depicting Indiana scenes. The images include courthouses, and views of Odom, Indianapolis, Martinsville and Bloomington.
INDIANA STATE NURSES ASSOCIATION. Records, 1887-1979. M 0380. Twenty boxes. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-186. The Indiana State Nurses Association was founded in 1903 to work for an improvement in the status, working conditions and training of nurses. The association has lobbied for the registration of nurses and improved educational programs, provided placement services and insurance and savings plans for members, and worked with other organizations on a variety of public health problems. The records include minutes and reports for the association’s annual meetings; correspondence, memoranda, membership information, financial record and other papers from the state headquarters in Indianapolis; records of the professional registry and the counseling and placement programs; papers of association committees, including joint committees with other state health organizations; minutes, correspondence, reports and registry records for the association’s districts; correspondence and reports of the American Nurses Association; and minutes and correspondence of the Indiana Committee on Nursing.
INDIANA WOMAN’S SUFFRAGE ASSOCIATION. Record book, 1851-1886. BV 2577,SC 1792. One bound volume, five folders. Collection guide online. This collection contains the preamble and constitution of the Woman’s Rights Association of Indiana. Names of charter members, minutes of annual meetings (1851-1859, 1869-1881), and an 1870 treasurer’s report are included. The organization changed its name to Indiana Woman’s Suffrage Association in 1869.
INDIANA WOMEN’S POLITICAL CAUCUS. Records, 1967-1983.M 0709, OMB 0072. Nine boxes, one oversize box, four artifacts. Collection guide online. The Indiana Women’s Political Caucus and the Greater Indianapolis caucus were formed in October 1971 as affiliates of the National Women’s Political Caucus, a multi-partisan organization. The organizational meeting of the IWPC was chaired by prominent Indianapolis attorney Virginia Dill McCarty (b. 1924) and Rae Ginger, temporary state coordinators appointed by the national caucus. The goal of each caucus was to advance the status of women through political action. Major issues pursued by the organizations were passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, equal pay and job opportunities for women, and more women in policy-making positions in politics and government. The focus of the state and Indianapolis caucuses during the campaign year of 1972 was on the ERA. Indianapolis native and NWPC spokesperson Jill Ruckelshaus was instrumental in getting the national Republican Party to include the ERA as part of its platform. The collection consists of the records (1971-1983) of the Indiana Women’s Political Caucus created or collected by President Molly P. Rucker. Included are records relating to the Greater Indianapolis Women’s Political Caucus (ca. 1971-1978) and the National Women’s Political Caucus (1971-1983). Also present are subject files on the Equal Rights Amendment, International Women’s Year, and records relating to the Julian Center, a human services organization for women founded in 1975 by the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis.
INDIANAPOLIS ARCHDIOCESAN COUNCIL OF CATHOLIC WOMEN. Records, 1938-1992. M 0633. Nine boxes. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women was founded in 1938. It is a member of the National Council of Catholic Women and seeks to unite Catholic organizations and Catholic women in purpose, direction and action in religious, educational, social and economic fields. The collection consists of the records and correspondence of the Indianapolis Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women, its local deanery councils, and its commissions or committees, 1938-92.
INDIANAPOLIS ASYLUM FOR FRIENDLESS COLORED CHILDREN. Records, 1870-1922. M 0165, BV 1501-1509. Fourteen boxes, nine volumes. Collection guide in library. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-188. The asylum was founded in 1869 by a group of Indianapolis Friends as an orphanage for African American children from Indianapolis and central Indiana. A Board of Women Managers whose president served as director of the asylum and a male Board of Directors who managed the financial affairs operated the asylum. In 1922, control of the orphanage was given to the Marion County Board of Commissioners, and it was closed during the 1940s. While the bulk of the collection relates to the children and their families, the collection also includes minutes of the Board of Women Managers (1870-1922) and treasurers’ reports (1916-1922).
INDIANAPOLIS FLOWER MISSION. Records, 1884-1987. M 0071. Eight boxes. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-194. The Indianapolis Flower Mission was a women’s organization started in 1876 to provide care for the sick. The mission’s activities have included visiting the sick in hospitals and at their homes, providing instruction in the care of the sick, starting a training school for nurses (1883), operating a children’s hospital (1895-1909), and opening hospitals for the care of tuberculosis patients (1903, 1935). The mission’s records include minutes of board of directors meetings (1901-1948), reports of visitors to the sick (1931-33), and miscellaneous reports, correspondence and historical materials.
INDIANAPOLIS FREE KINDERGARTEN, 1881-1972. M 0166, BV 1510-1551, OM 0298. Three boxes, 42 volumes, one folder. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-195. The society was founded in 1882 under the leadership of Rev. Oscar C. McCulloch and Eliza Blaker as a private organization to provide preschool training for young children. At various times the society also provided domestic training classes for older children; mothers’ clubs to instruct women in child care, health and nutrition; health examinations and training for the children; and clothing for poor children. In 1901, the society began receiving public funds for its schools. The society was dissolved about 1951. The collection includes superintendents’ reports, directors’ reports, board meeting minutes, treasurers’ books, correspondence, papers on the history of the society, and business papers.
INDIANAPOLIS GARDEN CLUB. Records 1930-1996. M 0672, OMB 0059, BV 3059. Six boxes, one volume. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Garden Club was formed in 1930 by a group of northside Indianapolis women led by Mrs. John N. Carey. Committees were appointed for the conservation of plants and trees, roadside improvement and horticultural shows. It became a charter member of the Indiana Federation of Garden Clubs in 1937 and was admitted to the Garden Club of America in 1940. Records of the early decades of the Garden Club are incomplete, but from 1965 records of the clubs’ activities are well represented. The collection includes minutes, reports, clippings, photographs and correspondence, 1930 to 1960.
INDIANAPOLIS MUSIC PROMOTERS. Collection, 1903-1977. M 0635. One box. Collection guide online. Adelaide Thornton Riley and Ellen Thomas Merriwether founded the Indianapolis Music Promoters in 1919 as a branch of the National Association of Negro Musicians. The purpose of the club was to encourage pursuit of musical study and foster musical talent of youth. Records of this club include correspondence, yearbooks and program booklets. Black Women in the Middle West Project.
INDIANAPOLIS ORPHANS ASYLUM. Records, 1850-1923. M 0066, BV 0984-0995. One box, 12 volumes. No collection guide available. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-196. The Indianapolis Orphans Asylum was founded in 1850 as the Widows and Orphans Friend Society of Indianapolis. By 1866, it had become the Indianapolis Orphans Asylum, a private organization responsible for operating the city’s principal orphanage. The orphans home was discontinued in 1941. The records consist of minutes of board meetings, indentures of children, children’s records, records of children in the foundling ward, and accounts.
INDIANAPOLIS PATRONESS CLUB OF ZETA CHAPTER, SIGMA ALPHA IOTA, Records, 1944-1994. M 0695, OMB 0067. Two boxes and one oversize box. Collection guide online. Sigma Alpha Iota, a professional music fraternity for women in music, was founded in 1903. The Patroness Club of the Zeta Chapter of SAI at Butler University, Indianapolis, was formed in 1911 as an alumnae organization to support the local and national organizations. The Patroness Club provided scholarships for music students at Butler’s Jordan College of Fine Arts and placed opera scores in the Fine Arts Library of Jordan College. Membership was by invitation only; it disbanded in 1994. Records include bylaws, minutes and reports, SAI songbooks, a guest book and a scrapbook. The scrapbook includes newspaper clippings and programs dealing with the Patroness Club and musical events in Indianapolis.
INDIANAPOLIS PROPYLAEUM. Records, 1888-1997. M 0699, BV 3200-3201, BV 3209-3220, OMB 0070, F 1217, CT 0795. Sixty-four boxes, five oversize boxes, 14 bound volumes, one reel microfilm, one cassette tape and three boxes of photographs. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Propylaeum, founded in 1888, began as a stock company to build and maintain a building for the use of women’s clubs. The first building, opened in 1891, was torn down to build the War Memorial Plaza and the Propylaeum moved to the Schmidt-Schaf House in 1923. A cultural and social haven for Indianapolis women, a number of groups continue to meet there, including the Indianapolis Woman’s Club and the Fortnightly Literary Club. Included in the collection are minutes, annual reports, yearbooks and membership rosters, publications, organizational histories, newsclippings, stockholder information, program committee materials and daily diaries of activities. Financial and legal materials include treasurers’ reports, building rental records, tax records, bank statements, leases, and building operation and maintenance records. Also included are records of several clubs that met there, including the Indianapolis Woman’s Club, Kappa Kappa Gamma and the Fortnightly Literary Club; photographs; and artifacts.
INDIANAPOLIS RETIREMENT HOME. Records, 1867-1980. M 0519, BV 2513-2535, OM 0229, F 0237, F 0239. Nine boxes, 23 volumes, one folder, two microfilm reels. Collection guide online. The organization was incorporated in 1867 under the name The Indianapolis Home for Friendless Women. Although originally created to care for children and transient women as well as the aged, by 1913 the institution limited its care to just the aged and changed its name to the Indianapolis Home for Aged Women. In 1936, the home became a nonprofit corporation under its current title. The collection contains minutes of the board of directors, financial records and correspondence.
INDIANAPOLIS WOMAN’S CLUB. Records, 1875-. M 0478, BV 2308-2329a. Twelve boxes, 23 bound volumes, cassette tapes. Collection guide online. The club was founded in 1875 and is the oldest of its type in Indiana. Its purpose, as set forth in its constitution, is “to form an organized center for the mental and social culture of its members and for the improvement of domestic life.” Materials in the collection include meeting minutes, officers’ reports, printed yearbooks, programs and announcements, and anniversary materials.
INDIANAPOLIS YOUNG WOMEN’S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION. Records, 1896-1986. M 0485, BV 2373-2387, OM 0185, F 0997-1010. Eleven boxes, 15 volumes, one folder, 14 microfilm reels. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis YWCA, founded in 1894 to help young women living alone in the city, opened a facility at 139 N. Meridian St. in 1895. After years of being located at 329 N. Pennsylvania, the YWCA moved in 1976 to North Guion Road. The YWCA has sponsored educational, recreational and religious activities. The collection includes the minutes, correspondence, publications and scrapbooks of the Indianapolis YWCA. The publications are national and local newsletters.
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S YEAR. Records, 1975-1985. M 0545, CT 0440-0450. Six boxes, 11 cassette tapes. Collection guide online. Created by the United Nations to call attention to women’s issues, the International Women’s Year became the International Women’s Decade. This collection contains administrative records for the Indiana Committee as well as newsletters, speeches and interviews.
IRVINGTON MOTHERS CLUB. Minutes, 1910-1917. SC 1665, BV 1808. One folder, one volume. No collection guide available. The Irvington Mothers Club later became the Parent-Teacher Association of the George W. Julian School (School 57) and then the Irvington Parent-Teacher Association. This collection includes the constitution and bylaws as well as the minutes of the club.
JEWISH WELFARE FEDERATION OF INDIANAPOLIS. Records, 1880-. M 0463, OMB 0013. Three hundred sixty-two boxes. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-204. The Jewish Welfare Federation of Indianapolis was established in 1905 as the Jewish Federation to centralize fundraising and allocate funds to support local and national Jewish organizations. Initially the federation, which consisted of existing immigrant aid societies such as the Industrial Removal Organization and the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society, provided social services to the poor in the Jewish immigrant community through financial support, employment opportunities, health care and assistance in adjusting to American life. In the 1920s, the organization’s interests shifted to Jewish community-related projects such as the Kirshbaum Center. The collection consists of records, correspondence and printed materials pertaining to the Jewish Welfare Federation, its member organizations, including the Women’s and Young Matrons’ divisions, and its predecessor organizations.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF INDIANA. Records, 1910-1978. M 0612, BV 2662-2665, OM274. Ninety-one boxes, five volumes, seven folders. Collection guide in library. The League of Women Voters was formed from the National American Woman Suffrage Association in 1920 after women won the right to vote. The same year the Indiana League affiliate was organized from the Woman’s Franchise League of Indiana. This collection contains information from the local, state and national leagues. Organizational and administrative papers of the state league comprise the bulk of the collection, and there are also state and national newsletters.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF INDIANAPOLIS. Records, 1915-1986. M 0611, OMB 0044. Thirty boxes. Collection guide online. The League of Women Voters of Indianapolis was organized by July 1920 and is affiliated with both the national and state League of Women Voters. The collection consists of minutes, annual reports, correspondence and papers, membership rosters, newsletters, brochures, newsclippings, scrapbooks, and materials relating to various political issues.
LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF THE CALUMET (IND.) AREA. Records, 1987-2000.SC 2687. Five folders. Collection guide online. The League of Women Voters of the Calumet Area is a branch of the League of Women Voters, a nationwide public interest group. The Calumet Area branch participates in the activities of the national organization and has organized state and regional programs related to child welfare, environmental management and budget reform. The collection includes correspondence and printed material pertaining to league activities concerning social welfare programs and environmental issues.
MANCHESTERUNION TEMPERANCE SOCIETY. Records, ca. 1847-1857. SC 1627. One box. Collection guide online. The collection contains one document, a preamble, constitution and list of temperance subscribers for the Manchester Union Temperance Society. The document is undated, but from internal evidence it would seem to have been created between 1847 and 1857. The Manchester Union Temperance Society was organized in the town of Manchester (now North Manchester) on the Eel River in Wabash County to conquer "King Alcohol."
McCUTCHANVILLE HOME ECONOMICS CLUB. Records, 1936-1942. SC 2464. Three folders. Collection guide online. The home economics club of McCutchanville, Vanderburgh County, was organized in 1936 with about 20 members. Its purpose was to create a good community spirit, sociability and neighborliness and to carry on the work of the Purdue Extension. Minutes and attendance records of meetings form the bulk of this collection.
ME-DE-PHAR GUILD. RECORDS, 19441989. M 0761. One box. Collection guide online. African-American organization. Founded in 1944, the Me-De-Phar Guild included the wives, mothers, daughters and sisters of physicians, dentists and pharmacists. Membership now includes spouses of retired and deceased medical professionals and medical students. The guild was created to promote good health facilities, to establish better relations between the community and health professionals, and to provide financial aid to women wishing to enter a branch of the allied health fields.
MONDAY CLUB. Records, 1895-1975. SC 1101. Eight folders. Collection guide online. The Monday Club was organized in 1895 as an auxiliary of Central Christian Church in Indianapolis. It began in the home of Mrs. Patrick H. Jameson as the Zerelda Wallace Conversation Club in honor of a pioneer Indiana temperance leader. The name changed, first to Monday Afternoon Club, and then about 1901 to Monday Club. The club began by emphasizing extemporaneous conversations on specific topics and later included musical performances and guest speakers. It survived to celebrate its 75th anniversary. The collection includes papers, minutes and clippings.
MORGAN COUNTY HOME DEMONSTRATION CLUB. Programs, 1935-1960. SC 1085. Four folders. Collection guide online. The Morgan County Home Demonstration Club, formerly the Morgan County Home Economics Club, was located in Morgan County. A women’s club, it met monthly to discuss topics related to home economics. Twenty annual programs from the club, including most years between 1935 and 1960, list club members, officers, committees and agendas.
MOTHERS’ CORRESPONDENCE CLUB. Records, 1915-1921. BV 1995. One volume. No collection guide available. This organization was founded in Indianapolis with a branch in Philadelphia. Its purpose was to uplift the morale of men in the armed forces. The collection includes a minute book and membership lists.
MUTUAL SERVICE ASSOCIATION. Records, 1907-1981. M 0374, BV 2022-2023, OM 0094. Two boxes, two volumes, one folder. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-279. The Mutual Service Association was organized in 1903 by Indianapolis businesswomen to provide respectable housing and financial assistance to young working women. Until 1927, the organization owned a residence and summer camp for women who could not afford vacations outside the city. Since 1967, the association has owned an apartment complex and retirement home for women. The records include the association’s minutes, treasurers’ records, scrapbooks, membership lists, meeting programs and issues of the Mutual Service Journal.
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF NEGRO WOMENINDIANAPOLIS SECTION. Collection, 1915-1985. M 0539, OM 0280. Eight boxes, two folders. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Section of the National Council of Negro Women was established to promote unity of action among all women in matters affecting the educational, cultural, economic, social and political life of the community; to collect, preserve and promote information affecting women; and to work toward the elimination of discrimination and segregation. Records in this collection include the constitution and bylaws, correspondence, agendas and minutes, reports, directories, brochures, yearbooks, and biographical information on various Indiana African-American women, organizations and institutions, most notably the Top Ladies of Distinction, an Indianapolis social club. Black Women in the Middle West Project.
NATIONAL SOCIETY OF ARTS AND LETTERS, (INDIANA CHAPTER). Records, 1945-1996. M 0579, OMB 0041. Seven boxes. Collection guide online. Mrs. Jesse W. Nicholson and Mrs. A.E. Neilson in Washington, D.C., founded the National Society of Arts and Letters, an organization to encourage young people in the arts and literature, in 1945. An Indiana chapter was founded shortly thereafter by Carrie Abbott Guio in Indianapolis. The collection includes correspondence, lists, yearbooks, booklets and clippings relating to both the national and state organization.
NATIONAL SOCIETY UNITED STATES DAUGHTERS OF 1812, Philip Schoff Chapter Scrapbook, 1911-1930. BV 3056. One volume. Collection guide online. The National Society United States Daughters of 1812 (NSUSD 1812) was formed in 1897 to promote patriotism. The Philip Schaff Chapter of the NSUSD 1812 was organized in 1911. The scrapbook, kept by Alma Winston Winslow, historian of the chapter, 1911-1930, contains programs, reports, bylaws and constitutions of the national and local organizations, clippings and several leaflets from the National Security League.
NATIONAL WOMAN SUFFRAGE ASSOCIATION FOR INDIANA. Records, 1887-1893. BV 2612. One volume. Collection guide available. The Indiana National Woman Suffrage Association was started in 1887 with May Wright Sewall as chairman and Helen M. Gougar as president. The collection consists of a minute book (1887-1893) for the state organization.
NEW HARMONY Collection, 1814-1884. M 0219, BV 0830-0835, F 0242. Four boxes, six volumes, one microfilm reel. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-282. Frances Wright (1795-1852) was an author, journalist, and social activist. She delivered numerous lectures attacking slavery and organized religion and advocating women’s suffrage. Sarah Tittle Barrett Bolton (1814-1893) was a poet and suffragist. She was born in Newport, Ky., the oldest of six children of Esther Pendleton and Jonathan Belcher Barrett. The family moved to a frontier farm in Indiana on Six-Mile Creek northeast of Vernon in Jennings County while Bolton was still a child. She married Nathaniel Bolton of Madison, Jefferson County, an editor, in 1831. She married second, Addison Reese. Bolton was a leader in the early movement for women’s legal rights and aided Robert Dale Owen in his successful fight in the State Constitutional Convention of 1850 and the legislature of 1851 for personal property rights for married women. The collection includes letters from Frances Wright and letters to Sarah T. Bolton.
NEW YORK CENTRAL SYSTEM PHOTOGRAPHS: JAMES WHITCOMB RILEY TRAIN.1941. P 0027.One folder.Collection guide in library. The collection contains thirteen black-and-white photographs that document the introduction of the James Whitcomb Riley diesel passenger train on the New York Central Railway line in April 1941. Included are four photographs of Mari Schricker, wife of Indiana Governor Henry F. Schricker. Other images of women include passengers, possibly models, in the train’s coaches and dining car.