Women’s History, Organizations and Projects, A-H
A LOOK BACK AT THE HOME LAWN SANITARIUM. IHRG Project, 1995-1996. SC 2605. Five folders. Collection guide online. This oral history project was part of an Indiana Heritage Research Grant (#95-3029) awarded to the Morgan County Historic Preservation Society in 1995. The collection includes typescripts of interviews and a bound volume of A Look Back at the Home Lawn Sanitarium. People interviewed for the project included relatives of owners, physicians and upper-level employees of Home Lawn; kitchen workers, porters, and other employees and neighbors of the sanitarium. Topics include activities at Home Lawn, owners and employees, and famous visitors. The interviewees include Kay Kennedy Branch, Alma Fraker, Joyce Hamilton, Mary Lib Hendricks, Rosemary Hendricks, Marilyn Kennedy, Louise Kent, Dorothy Norman and Ruth Scott.
ALPHA LATREIAN CLUB. Records, 1924-1989. M 0525, BV 2655, OM 0294. Two boxes, one volume, one folder. Collection guide online. The Alpha Latreian Club was founded in 1924 in Indianapolis as a service organization for college-educated women. It is a member of the Indiana Federation of Clubs and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. The collection consists of administrative records, minutes, treasurer reports and attendance and membership lists, as well as correspondence and financial information relating to the Jameson Camp.
AMERICAN RED CROSS, INDIANAPOLIS AREA CHAPTER. Records, 1916-1978. M0551, F1090-108. One box, nineteen microfilm reels. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-7. The Indianapolis Area Chapter of the American Red Cross was formed on July 19, 1916, with William Fortune as president, the Reverend Francis H. Gavisk as vice president, John H. Holliday as treasurer and Guernsey Van Riser as secretary. This largely volunteer agency is concerned primarily with assisting disaster victims. It also provides assistance to the military during times of armed conflict and provides home nursing, first aid, and nutritional information and education. Through the years, many Hoosier women have volunteered their services with the Red Cross. The collection includes scrapbooks, correspondence, publications, annual reports and organizational information.
ARSENAL TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL Oral History Project, 1919-1963. BV 2635-2637. Three volumes. Collection guide online. Transcripts of interviews with graduates of Arsenal Technical High School from the classes of 1915 through 1963.
BERTHA ESTHER BALLARD HOME ASSOCIATION. Records, 1889-1975. M 0329, BV 1846-1855. Four boxes, 10 volumes. Collection guide online. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-31. The Bertha Ballard Home was founded in 1890 by the Women Friends of Western Yearly Meeting as a Christian boarding house for young working women in Indianapolis. Originally named the Friends Boarding House for Girls, the home incorporated under the name Bertha Ballard Home Association in 1900 in response to a donation by William H. Ballard. It was operated as a nonprofit organization until it closed in 1975. The collection consists of the minutes of the board of directors meetings for the Friends Boarding House (1889-1895) and the Bertha Ballard Home (1900-7193); financial records; and miscellaneous letters, legal documents and clippings.
BLACK WOMEN IN THE MIDDLE WEST- Miscellaneous, 1890-1984. M 0499, OM 0301. One box, two folders. Collection guide online. This is an artificial collection of miscellaneous small groups of records collected during the Black Women in the Middle West Project. Of particular note are the materials relating to Helen Whitelow and the founding of the Soul People Repertory Company, the Indiana State Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs and Indianapolis churches.
BLACK WOMEN IN THE MIDDLE WEST PROJECT. Records, 1932-1986. M 0530. Fourteen boxes. Collection guide online. The Black Women in the Middle West Project was a collecting effort to gather primary source materials of African-American women in Illinois and Indiana. The project was directed by Darlene Clark Hine, a Purdue University history professor and vice provost, with assistance from Patrick Bidelman, also of Purdue University. Records from the project, conducted in three phases from 1977 to 1985, are located in five repositories: the Indiana Historical Society, Calumet Regional Archives, Northern Indiana Historical Society, the Chicago Historical Society and the Illinois Historical Society. This collection represents the administrative files of the project and includes biographical materials of project participants, planning documents, financial records and general correspondence.
CADETS OF TEMPERANCE. Records, 1854-1855. SC 0167. One folder. No collection guide available. The Cadets of Temperance, Section No. 43, was organized on Aug. 9, 1854 in Huntsville, Randolph County, by several members of the local Sons of Temperance. Female members were admitted Feb. 17, 1855. The collection includes minutes of regular meetings from Aug. 9, 1854 through May 19, 1855.
CAMP FIRE GIRLS OF CENTRAL INDIANA. Records, 1913-1988. M 0526, OMB 0038, F 1109-1118. Twenty-three boxes, 10 microfilm reels. Collection guide in library. The Camp Fire Girls was started by Dr. Luther Halsey Gulick and his wife Charlotte Vetter Gulick in 1910 and was incorporated in 1912. The Indianapolis Camp Fire Girls traces its origins to 1911, when Eleanor Putnam, wife of a Butler University professor, formed a group with about 15 girls from Downey Avenue Christian Church. The first council was chartered in 1914. The Central Indiana Council of Camp Fire Inc., was officially dissolved in l988. The records consist of meeting minutes, record books of activities and projects, reports, membership fees, photographs, scrapbooks and publications of Camp Fire Girls Inc. of Central Indiana.
CATHARINE MERRILL CLUB. Records, ca. 1986. SC 2551. One folder. Collection guide online. The Catharine Merrill Club was founded in Indianapolis in 1885 in honor of Indianapolis resident Catharine Merrill, daughter of Indiana politician Samuel Merrill. Catharine Merrill was a teacher, nurse, professor and clubwoman. The collection contains a yearbook, two club papers and a photograph of an 1885 portrait of Catharine Merrill by noted Indiana artist T.C. Steele.
CHRISTIAN PARK WOMEN’S CLUB (INDIANAPOLIS, IND). Records, 1935-1988. M 0779 Two document cases, artifacts. Collection guide online. The Christian Park Women’s Club was established on Feb. 19, 1935. Twenty women met in the Christian Park Community House and held elections to decide who would hold office. Mrs. E.J. Reinhardt was elected the first president of the organization. A constitution was written that year and was revised in 1938. The club’s objective was to “further recreation activity and to promote or aid any project of vital interest to the Christian Park community.” Club activities included sewing dressings and pads for the local cancer agencies and layettes for hospital nurseries. In the 1940s, the group sent charitable goods to the soldiers at Fort Harrison, served lunches to navy enlistees at the federal building, and furnished a room for the wounded being cared for at Camp Atterbury. During this period, they joined the Riley Hospital Cheer Guild, naming their chapter “Even as a Child.”
CHURCH AND COMMUNITY: ST. LAWRENCE PARISH (18951930s). 1995. M 0686. One box. Collection guide online. The collection is the final grant report on the St. Lawrence Project, and contains a grant abstract, oral history interview questions, a list of interviewees, typescript transcripts of interviews and copies of interview essays. Topics include the ethnic and economic make-up of the parish, the affiliated church and school, religious societies and activities, the Ku Klux Klan, the Great Depression, and World War II. Thirty women were interviewed for the project.
CHURCH WOMEN UNITED IN INDIANA. Records, 1933-1988. M 0547, BV 2687, BV 2689. Four boxes, two volumes. Collection guide in library. The Indiana Council of Church Women was formed in 1929. During the ensuing years, it affiliated and reorganized numerous times. In 1924, as part of the national organization, United Church Women, it became the United Church Women of Indiana and, in 1966, Church Women United. The collection consists of annual reports, scrapbooks, newsletters, yearbooks, brochures, pamphlets and correspondence. Records of the state president of Church Women United (1970-1979) and histories of each county chapter are also included.
CHURCH WOMEN UNITED IN INDIANA. Records, 1916-1998. M 0738, OMB 0078. Thirty boxes, two oversize boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana Council of Church Women was formed in 1929. During the ensuing years, it affiliated and reorganized numerous times. In 1924, as part of the national organization, United Church Women, it became the United Church Women of Indiana and, in 1966, Church Women United. The collection comprises the records of the Church Women United for Indianapolis and Indiana and is divided into three series based on the source of the acquisition. Series I contains the records from the Indianapolis council and was housed with those of the Church Federation of Indianapolis. Included among the records are meeting minutes and correspondence, financial records, and programs. Also contained in this series are scrapbooks, newsclippings and other printed holdings relating to the historical activities of the organization; yearbooks listing members for both the Indianapolis and Indiana groups; and newsletters for the local, state and national associations. Series II centers around correspondence and printed materials collected by Indianapolis council president’s Billie Watkins and Jane Fribley, 1973 to 1995. Items include correspondence, meeting minutes, publications and scrapbooks. Series III mainly contains records of the Indiana council (1953-1998) and includes board minutes, newsletters and information regarding local areas and units throughout the state.
CITIZENS FORUM, INC. Records, 1962-1985. M 0425, CT 704-712. Twelve boxes, 10 audiocassette tapes, photographs and artifacts. Collection guide online. Citizens Forum was founded in Indianapolis in 1964 by Mattie Coney to get an open housing ordinance passed. Originating as a “Better Neighbor Program,” Citizens Forum expanded into an interracial, interfaith, nonpolitical organization. Its goals included improved health, safety and beauty of neighborhoods, and instilling a sense of responsibility, pride, and good conduct and citizenship. Mattie Coney, a retired school teacher, became the group’s executive director; her husband, Elmo Coney, became the projects director. The Coneys provided the organization with the guidance and impetus needed to insure its success for 20 years. The collection contains organizational, business and financial records; foundation and grant materials; employee and volunteer materials; newsletters; and other materials. Black Women in the Middle West Project.
CURRENT DISCUSSION CLUB. Records, 1920-1986. M 0065. Two boxes. Collection guide online. The Current Discussion Club was formed in 1920 by a group of northside Indianapolis women. Its purpose was “the discussion of current and literary topics.” Membership was limited to 25. The club disbanded in 1986. Materials in the collection include minutes, yearbooks, retrospective accounts written for the 25th and 50th anniversaries, and the constitution and bylaws.
CURRENT LITERATURE CLUB. Records, 1906-1910. BV 2078. One volume. No collection guide available. The club was founded about 1894 as a women’s literary club in Rockville, Parke County. The collection consists of one bound volume (1906-1910) containing the club’s constitution, minutes, bylaws, and lists of officers, committees and members.
DIALOGUE TODAY (INDIANAPOLIS, IND.). RECORDS, 1984-2000. M 0775. Five manuscript boxes, one box color photographs. Collection guide online. Dialogue Today is a coalition of African-American and Jewish women. The purpose of the organization is to consider and deal with problems common to both groups through education, advocacy and community service projects. Teen Dialogue began in the mid-1980s as an effort to create dialogue between African-American and Jewish teenagers. The collection includes business records, correspondence, clippings, photographs, financial records and ephemera. Also included are copies of the Dialogue Today newsletter Dialogue for Dialogue.
EMERGENCY CLUB. Records, 1915-1997. M 0715, BV 1971. One box, on bound volume and two folders of visual materials. Collection guide online. Founded in 1898 in Indianapolis, the Emergency Club provided layettes to indigent mothers, often helping with groceries, coal and other needs. During World War I, the club made bandages for the war effort. The club identified cases through other social work and charitable groups; it remains active today. The collection includes minute books, secretary’s books, constitution and by-laws, membership lists, correspondence, newspaper clippings, president’s reports, club yearbooks, photographs, and materials regarding the Visiting Nurses Association of Indianapolis and Stopover Inc., a shelter for runaway teenagers.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (DELPHI, INDIANA). Records, 1916-1933. SC 2549. Two items. Collection guide online. The First Presbyterian Church of Delphi, Carroll County, was organized in 1828. Two women’s organizations of the church were founded in 1873: the Ladies’ Social Union, which raised funds; and the Woman’s Missionary Society, which dealt with foreign and domestic missions. Records of the Ladies’ Social Union (1916-1926) and the Woman’s Missionary Society (1913-1933) at the First Presbyterian Church include information on fundraising activities; foreign missions, especially in Poland, Korea, Japan and Mexico; and domestic missions, especially in regard to Native Americans, Mormons, African-American professionals and Jews.
FORTNIGHTLYLITERARY CLUB. Collection. M 0585. One box. Collection guide online. The Fortnightly Literary Club was founded in Indianapolis in 1923. Its purpose was for the review and discussion of books, world problems, current events and other subjects of cultural value. The records include correspondence, minutes and yearbooks (1927-1983).
FREETOWN VILLAGE: SEAMSTRESS, WASHERWOMAN, BARBER, ROOTWOMAN. 1998. SC 2693. One folder. Collection guide online. Freetown Village is a living history museum that explores the lives of African Americans in an 1870 mythical community in Indianapolis. The members of the museum company depict composite characters that lived during the post-Civil War era. Traditionally, some of the Freetown Village characters have included Reverend Strong, barber Isaiah Cuffee, seamstress Sarah Elizabeth Brown Cuffee, washerwoman Eliza Moore Freeman and root woman Mother Endura. The collection contains one project abstract and a 45-page research paper authored by Lisa Lewis during 1998. The abstract provides the search strategy used to research the four trades. The research paper examined the role of the trades giving them some context related to late 19th-century African-Americans.
FRIENDSHIP LEAGUE. Minutes, 1903-1916. BV 2488. One volume. No collection guide available. The collection consists of one notebook containing the records of two organizations. The first 20 pages contain dues accounts for charter members, probably of the Woman’s Press Club of Indiana. Pages 20 through 40 contain minutes of the Friendship League of Delphi, Carroll County, a women’s social club.
GENDER FAIRNESS COALITION OF INDIANA, INC. RECORDS. 1986-1996. M 0777. Three manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. The Gender Fairness Coalition of Indiana Inc. is a statewide lobby organization supporting women’s rights issues in the Indiana General Assembly. The Coalition evolved from the Indiana Civil Rights Commission’s Advisory Council on Sex Discrimination, which functioned during the 1970s. Jill Chambers was chair of the coalition from 1994 to 1996. The collection contains business records of the Gender Fairness Coalition of Indiana Inc., dating primarily from 1990 to 1996. The material includes minutes and agendas, financial reports, correspondence, and subject files concerning internal activities and political lobbying. Correspondence includes letters exchanged with other groups concerned with women’s issues, including Planned Parenthood of Central Indiana.
GOVERNOR’S COMMISSION ON THE STATUS OF WOMEN IN INDIANA. 1973-1979. M 0661. Two boxes. Collection guide online. The Commission on the Status of Women in Indiana was a nonprofit state government organization established in 1973 by Gov. Otis R. Bowen. Its purpose was to ensure that women would have a full opportunity to serve as equal citizens of the state. The collection contains minutes, correspondence, newsletters and workshop information on the commission’s activities.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC, NELSON TRUSLER POST NO. 60. Records, 1868-1933. M 0117, BV 1330-1348, OM 0151. Four boxes, 19 volumes, one folder. Collection guide in library. Described in Pumroy and Brockman, Guide to Manuscript Collections of the Indiana Historical Society and Indiana State Library, A-126. The collection includes the records of the Nelson Trusler Post No. 60, Woman’s Relief Corps, 1895-1920.
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC-MORGAN POST NO. 15. Papers, 1889-1901. M0620. One box. Collection guide online. The Grand Army of the Republic, Morgan Post No. 15, Petersburg, Pike County, was organized in 1889. The Morgan Woman’s Relief Corps #146 was its auxiliary post. The collection includes a journal of the Morgan Woman’s Relief Corps, 1897-1901.
GRAND BODY OF THE SISTERS OF CHARITY. Collection, 1912-1977. M 0619. Five boxes. Collection guide online. The Grand Body of the Sisters of Charity was organized in 1876 in response to needs of post-Civil War migrant African-Americans settling in Indiana. Early founders and officers included Celeste Allen, Eliza Goff, Ada Goins, Beulah Wright Porter and Hulda Bates Webb. The organization later (1911) established a hospital in Indianapolis. Records of this organization include correspondence, constitutions and bylaws, financial records, program booklets and news clippings. Black Women in the Middle West Project.
GRAND LODGE AUXILIARY FRATERNAL ORDER OF POLICE. Records, 1980, 1991SC 2330. One folder. Collection guide online. The Grand Lodge Auxiliary Fraternal Order of Police was organized in 1941 as the Ladies Auxiliary of the National Fraternal Order of Police. The Indianapolis Ladies Auxiliary #86 dates from September 1940, and the Indiana State Auxiliary Fraternal Order of Police was started in 1950. The collection is composed of three histories, including that of the Indianapolis Fraternal Order of Police Ladies Auxiliary #86, the Indiana State Auxiliary Fraternal Order of Police (1950-19180), and the Grand Lodge Auxiliary Fraternal Order of Police (1941-1991).
HESSVILLE DEMOCRATIC CLUB. Records, 1939-1963. M 0491. One box. Collection guide online. The Hessville Democratic Club was formed in 1834 in Hammond, Lake County, with both male and female membership. Later the men became inactive, and the women continued as the Hessville Ladies Democratic Club. In 1950, men rejoined the club, and the name reverted to the Hessville Democratic Club. The collection contains minutes of the Hessville Democratic Club (1939-1943 and 1954-1961), membership lists, correspondence, bylaws and amendments, and a scrapbook.
HOOSIERS FOR THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT (HERA), 1973-1976. M 0636. One box. Collection guide online. Hoosiers for the Equal Rights Amendment (HERA) became a nonpartisan statewide coalition in August 1973. HERA’s purpose was to seek ratification of the proposed Equal Rights Amendment to the United States Constitution. HERA disbanded ca. 1976 to 1977. The records include HERA bylaws, financial reports, lists of officers and HERA council information.