Railroad Collections, I-N
Iglehart, John E. Papers, 1853-1953 (bulk 1853-1934). M 0153, F 0232. Eight manuscript boxes, 25 bound volumes, one microfilm reel. Collection guide online. Evansville lawyer and Lincoln scholar John E. Iglehart joined the law firm of his father, prominent lawyer Judge Asa Iglehart, immediately after graduation in 1866. Much of John E. Iglehart’s practice throughout his career was as attorney for the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad Company. Collection includes 25 letterbooks, dating from 1853 to 1892, of the Iglehart law firm.
Indiana Interurban and Indianapolis Streetcar Photographs ca. 1912-ca. 1926. P 0392. Six photograph folders. Collection guide online. The first electric streetcar railway in Indiana, the Lafayette Street Railway, opened in South Bend on Aug. 30, 1888. By 1895, streetcar systems operated in Indianapolis, Richmond, Kokomo, Vincennes, Fort Wayne, Anderson, Muncie, Elwood, Terre Haute, Columbus, Logansport and Evansville. Streetcars operated in Indiana cities until 1953. The Indianapolis, Greenwood, and Franklin Railroad was the first interurban line to serve Indianapolis. The service opened in January 1900. By 1910, 12 companies operated direct routes between Indianapolis and major cities within a 120-mile radius. The rising popularity of the automobile and the passage of the Public Utility Holding Act in 1935 were deathblows to the interurban railway systems. The Public Utility Holding Act required holding companies to restrict their operations to a single, integrated system. Power companies and railway companies could not be owned by the same holding company. Electric railways no longer had access to integrated and thus inexpensive sources of power. The collection contains 25 black-and-white photographs of interurban cars and streetcars on railroad lines and in stations across Indiana. Scenes in the photographs date from ca. 1912 to ca. 1926, but the actual photographs may have been made after 1950. An unknown individual identified the photographs according to the content of the image and the date and place of the scene. Railroad companies represented in this collection include: Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and Eastern Traction Company; Union Traction Company; Indianapolis and Cincinnati Traction Company; and the Indiana Service Corporation.
Indiana Railroad Stock Certificates, ca. 1854-1900. SC 1561. One folder. Four stock-related certificates from four Indiana railroad companies. Materials include an unissued stock scrip (ca. 1854) for the Evansville & Crawfordsville Railroad, an unissued stock dividend (1855) for the Steubenville & Indiana Rail Road Company, a stock scrip (1896) for the Columbus & Indianapolis Central Railway Company, and an unissued stock certificate (ca. 1900) for the Indianapolis Southern Railway.
Indiana Stock Certificates, 1857-1932. M 0726. One manuscript box. Twenty-six stock certificates from Indiana businesses and organizations. Businesses include railroads. Locations include Indianapolis, Kokomo, Evansville and Hammond.
Indianapolis and Cincinnati Electric Railroad Company. Documents, 1913. SC 1653. One folder. The Indianapolis and Cincinnati Electric Railroad Company was formed to construct an extension of the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Traction Company’s electric railway line from Rushville to Harrison, Ohio. The collection includes petitions to the Franklin County Board of Commissioners, filed by businessman William Noble Gordon of Metamora, businessman Louis Federmann of Brookville, and farmer William Simonson Jr., for the appropriation of aid from the railroad company in the construction of its railroad in Brookville Township, Franklin County. Also included are the board’s considerations of each petition.
Indianapolis Belt Railroad and Stock Yards Company. Records 1874-1968. M 0067, BV 0672-BV 0712. Ten manuscript boxes, 40 bound volumes, 12 reels audio tape. Collection guide online. Official company records from its incorporation to one year beyond its sale to Eli Lilly and Co. Most of the collection deals with the company’s management, capital stock, and property sales and leases. Topics include railroad rights-of-way, labor and management issues, advertising, and construction and expansion of the stockyards. Also included are papers of the Union Reduction Company of Cincinnati and the Indianapolis Stockyards Marketing Institute. Reel-to-reel tapes of company meetings, 1964-1967, are also included.
Indianapolis Bridge Photographs, ca. 1935. P 0354. Two photograph folders. Collection guide online. The collection contains photographs of road and railway bridges in Indianapolis, with views of College Avenue, New York Street and Garfield Park, among others.
Indianapolis Railroad Collection, 1891-1929. M 0232. Four manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Twenty-seven interurban companies that served Indianapolis are represented. Indianapolis had a streetcar system by 1895, and interurbans by 1900. In 1904, an interurban terminal was built, and by 1910, Indianapolis was served by 400 trains a day. In 1920, Indiana had 2,600 miles of interurban lines linking Indianapolis to Terre Haute, Richmond, Fort Wayne, Lafayette and Louisville. Interurban trains used the tracks and electricity of Indianapolis street railways, and the city’s Board of Public Works regulated this use. The collection contains correspondence along with applications to the Indianapolis Board of Public Works and board ordinances, 1891-1929. Most deal with routes and rights of way. Also included are applications for switching permits and some general correspondence.
Indianapolis Street Railways Collection, 1899-1943. OMB 0020, BV 3038-BV 3049. One oversized box, 12 bound volumes, four folio folders. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Street Railway Company was founded by Hugh J. McGowan in 1899. McGowan also founded the Indianapolis Traction and Terminal Co. After his death in 1911, the companies changed hands and were renamed several times. Competition from the automobile caused the last streetcar line to close in 1953, and the last trackless trolley ran in 1957. The collection includes company records and reports, city ordinances and a map. Oversize materials include monthly reports of the Indianapolis Traction and Terminal Co., 1906-1924; a 1939 map of the Indianapolis transit system; and a record of streetcar tracks abandoned in 1943. Bound volumes include records of transit companies, including the Indianapolis Street Railway Company, the Broad Ripple Traction Company, People’s Motor Coach Company, Indianapolis Car Equipment Company, and the Suburban Bus Company; street railway city ordinances up to 1909; and an inventory of street railway property in 1919.
Indianapolis Union Railway Company, Maintenance of Way Department. Records, 1885-1956, (bulk 1885-1930). M 0780, OMB 0090. Nine manuscript boxes, one oversized box, 23 oversized folders. Collection guide online. The Indianapolis Union Railway Company was founded in the 1850s. The company owned and maintained Indianapolis Union Station, and in 1882, leased the railway equipment, track and facilities of the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and Stockyard Company. The Indianapolis Union Railway Company planned and executed the elevation of the Union Station tracks and Belt Railroad line through Indianapolis between 1920 and the early 1930s. The collection includes correspondence, contracts, financial records and blueprint drawings created and accumulated by the Maintenance of Way Department of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company. Most material dates from 1885 to 1930. The records concern the elevation of the Union Station tracks and the Belt Railroad line, track maintenance, employee relations and the maintenance of Indianapolis Union Station. Financial records include payroll statistics, accounts payable and receivable, and inventories.
Indianapolis Union Railway Company Records, 1849-1991. M 0899, BV 3563-3606, OM 0449. One hundred ninety-two manuscript boxes, 44 bound volumes, three oversized folders, six photograph folders, artifacts. Collection guide online. In 1850, the Union Track Railway was created to manage the needs of the influx of rail lines entering the city of Indianapolis. This came after the realization that Indianapolis would be the first major city in the United States that would depend on railroads for its growth, rather than water transportation. In 1853, the name of the Union Track Railway was changed to the Indianapolis Union Railway Company and a union depot was built for the multiple railroads entering the city. Incorporation took place in 1872 through the agreement of the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad Company, the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railway Company, the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway Company, the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railway Company, the Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company, and the Indianapolis, Cincinnati & Lafayette Railroad Company. The company was created to ease and streamline the exchange of freight and passengers between the above listed railroad companies. The collection is composed of five series. Series 1 contains business transaction records of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company, consisting mostly of accounts payable records, there are also some accounts receivable records, canceled checks and other financial records. These financial records run from 1884 to 1967. Series 2 consists of ledgers containing letters, maintenance of way materials lists, daily material reports and time books for the operations of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company. These records encompass the years 1893 to 1969. Series 3 includes all general correspondence regarding the business operations of the Indianapolis Union Railway Company and cover the years 1894-1990. Series 4 contains assorted business documents about the operations of the Railway. These documents include board meeting minutes, legal claims (including those regarding organized labor), business contracts, incorporation documents, and other various business records. This series covers the years 1849-1991. The final series, series 5, contains photographs and artifacts.
Indianapolis, Decatur and Springfield Railway Company. Statement, ca. 1875. SC 2079. One folder. Handwritten statement (1875?) showing miles of track completed, equipment on hand and the financial status of the Indianapolis, Decatur and Springfield Railroad.
Ingalls, Melville E. (Melville Ezra), 1842-1914. Papers, 1870-1907. M 0754. Five manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Melville Ingalls (1842-1914) graduated from Harvard Law School in 1863 and practiced in Boston. He married Abbie M. Stimson of Gray, Maine, in 1867. He moved to Cincinnati in 1870 and became president of the Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Lafayette Railroad. Ingalls rescued the railway from bankruptcy in the late 1870s and formed a new company, the Cincinnati, St. Louis & Chicago Railway. This railway merged with the Vanderbilt-owned Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railway in 1889 to become the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway (Big Four). Ingalls was also head of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway and was instrumental in developing the coal mining industry in Kentucky. The collection contains approximately 2,000 letters, mostly pertaining to the legal and financial operation of railroads, and Ingalls’ personal and political life. Included is Ingalls’ correspondence with the New York firm Morton, Bliss & Company (1871-1888), and with his representative and advisor Charles W. Booth (1873-1878).
Interurbans’ Right of Way Deeds, 1899-1917. M 0168. Eight manuscript boxes. Right of way deeds for interurban railroad companies in Blackford, Delaware, Madison, Marion and Wells counties.
Johnson, Robert Underwood, 1853-1937. Letter, 26-27 February 1873, Washington, D.C., [to] Henry Johnson. SC 2071. One folder. Robert Underwood Johnson served on the staff of Century Magazine from 1873 to 1913. The collection consists of one letter (eight pages and typewritten transcript) from Johnson in Washington, D.C., to Henry Johnson, written from the reporters’ gallery of the U.S. House of Representatives. He describes the debate on the expulsion of Representatives Brooks and Ames during the Credit Mobilier scandal. The Credit Mobilier company was formed to construct the Union Pacific Railroad.
Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington Railroad Company Reports, 1877. OM 0418. One oversized folder. Collection guide online. In July 1869, the Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington Railway was incorporated. It operated in Indiana and eastern Illinois until its sale in April 1879. The LM&B ran from Muncie through Lafayette to Bloomington, Ill. Construction of the road began in 1869. There were many problems and complaints with the railroad, including both construction and freight hauling issues. Beginning in October 1876, the company leased the Lafayette, Bloomington and Mississippi Railroad. The collection consists of two ticket sales reports from the Lafayette, Muncie and Bloomington Railroad for the Alexandria Station in Madison County.
Lake Erie and Western Railroad Company. Records, 1927-1930. BV 2595. One bound volume. Collection guide online. The railroad ran west from Cleveland, on an east-west line from Muncie to Frankfort, and on a north-south line from Muncie to Newcastle and on to other points in southern Indiana. The collection consists of a register of ticket sales and freight shipments at the Springport and Mt. Summit stations in Henry County. Freight shipments include coal, stone, cement, oil, fertilizer, stock, steel and manure.
Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. Bills of Lading, 1864-1870. SC 1803. One folder. The collection consists of bills of lading for grain shipments to Toledo (Ohio) from Wanseon Station. Two are from the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Co., and one is from the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana R.R. Co.
Lane-Elston Family Papers, 1775-1936. M 0180, OM 0405. Six manuscript boxes, two oversized folders, one photograph folder. Collection guide online. The collection contains papers of Isaac Compton Elston, a prominent merchant, banker and land developer in Crawfordsville. Elston actively worked to bring in the railroad and became the first president of the Crawfordsville & Wabash Railroad, and his papers include letters relating to that railroad.
Love, John, 1820-1881. Papers, 1837-1886. M 0653, OM 0320. Three manuscript boxes, three oversized folders. Collection guide online. A native of Virginia, Love moved to Indianapolis and married Mary F. Smith. Love became involved in railroad finance with his father-in-law, Oliver H. Smith. The collection includes correspondence, rosters, leaflets, invitations, programs and clippings. Topics include Love’s work with Oliver H. Smith and Willard Carpenter raising funds for the Evansville, Indianapolis & Cleveland Straight Line Railroad Company.
Madison, Indianapolis and Lafayette Railroad Company Papers, 1822-1924. SC 2735. One folder. Collection guide online. The Madison, Indianapolis and Lafayette Rail-Road Company, later the Indianapolis & Madison, was chartered in February 1832. The first few years little progress was made as only engineering surveys were completed. In January 1836, the Indiana legislature identified the railroad as a state project and construction of the line began in September 1836. Issues regarding construction and financing followed the railroad in its early years. In 1841, public concern over the railroad’s cost led to a state investigation that discovered $2 million had been embezzled by railroad employees and state officials. The railroad was transferred to a private corporation, the Madison and Indianapolis Railroad Company in February 1843. By June of that year, the line was opened to Scipio about 30 miles from Madison. By July 1844, tracks reached Columbus and in September 1845, Edinburgh. On Oct. 1, 1847, the first train ran from Madison to Indianapolis. The M&I built a depot on South Street in Indianapolis. In 1854, the M&I was consolidated with the Peru & Indianapolis Railroad Company, which later became part of the Nickel Plate Railroad. In September of that year, the consolidation was terminated due to stockholder complaints. By March 1862, the M&I was sold at foreclosure. Its assets were conveyed to the Indianapolis and Madison Railroad Company which issued securities, in reduced amounts, to creditors and stockholders of the former company. The collection contains one stock certificate issued to J.R. Watson from the Indianapolis & Madison Railroad Company. Also included are five letters from 1822 to 1924 that deal with the value of the stock issued by the company.
Merrill, Samuel, 1792-1855. Papers, 1812-1934. M 0204, OM 0132. Nine manuscript boxes, seven oversized folders. Collection guide online. Merrill came to Vevay in 1816. In 1819, he began his political career, serving in the state General Assembly and as state treasurer. He also was president of the State Bank of Indiana and the Madison and Indianapolis Rail Road Company, and founded the Merrill Publishing Company. The collection contains correspondence, deeds, receipts and other documents, including business papers dealing with Merrill’s activities as president of the Madison and Indianapolis Rail Road Company, as well as with other business ventures, and personal and family papers.
Michael, John R. Railroad Materials, 1883-1990. M 0891. One manuscript box, four oversized manuscript folders, three photograph folders. Collection guide online. John Richard Michael, born in 1919, went to work in the railroad industry like his father and grandfather before him. Both John and his father, Seth, worked for the Erie Railroad. John R. Michael was also a collector of railroad materials. He married Eloise Ruth Bickel in March 1937 and they had three sons. The records consist of a large number of timetable charts from the Chicago and Atlantic Railway and the Chicago and Erie Railroad. A book labeled “Long tally” contains descriptions, calculations and notes on railroad bridges, including an extract of the specifications of the Kentucky & Indiana Bridge. Another book in the collection details delays of trains during May 1928, as well as loose documents which were moved to folders 7 through 11 of the collection. A log book lists various notes from the operations in rail yards and on rail lines during 1939. Various receipts, orders, photos, clippings and publications relating to railroad work comprise the remainder of the collection.
Monon Railroad Dispatch Records, 1967. OM 0171. One oversized folder. Collection guide online. The origin of the Monon Railroad dates back to 1847 with the founding of the New Albany and Salem Railroad in Borden. The railroad got its nickname “Monon” from a creek near Bradford (now Monon). After several mergers, expansions and reorganizations, the Monon became an independent line in 1946. In 1971, it merged with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, and in 1985, L. & N.’s successor, Seaboard System, removed the last of the old Monon rails. The collection consists of eight sheets of Monon dispatch records from Feb. 17 to 24, 1967. Information includes weather conditions, number of cars, tonnage, crew members and the time trains passed reporting stations.
Monon Railroad Photographs, ca. 1890s-ca. 1970s. P 0401. Eight photograph boxes, one color photograph box, one OVA photograph box, one graphics box, five negatives. Collection guide online. What began as the New Albany & Salem Railroad in 1847 would pass through several name changes and mergers with other rail companies before becoming the Monon Railroad in 1956 when the Chicago, Indianapolis, & Louisville Railroad officially took its longtime nickname as its corporate title. Monon would later merge with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in 1971. This collection consists of photographs depicting events and people throughout most of the history of the Monon Railroad. The collection is arranged in the following series: accidents, special events, passengers and visitors, personnel, physical plant (including crossings, depots, stations, bridges, shops and yards), rolling stock (trains), logos, and uncategorized photographs, and postcards and other printed materials. The rolling stock series also includes a few drawings and some train manufacturers’ specifications for engines.
Monon Railroad. Records, 1851-1971. M 0376, OMB 0046, BV 1996-2001. Six manuscript boxes, one oversized box, six bound volumes. Collection guide online. The Monon Railroad originated in 1847 as the New Albany and Salem Railroad in Providence (now Borden); it soon had tracks running from the Ohio River to the Great Lakes. In 1859, it was renamed the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad. The “Monon Route” was established in the 1880s, named after a creek near Bradford (now Monon). The railroad was purchased by the Chicago, Indianapolis, and Louisville Railroad in 1897; it went bankrupt in 1933. It was reorganized in 1946 as an independent line under John W. Barriger. In 1971, it merged with the Louisville and Nashville Railroad as its Monon Division. The collection spans the history of the Monon Railroad and its predecessor companies, the New Albany and Salem Railroad; the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad; and the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railroad until its merger in 1971 with the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. It includes published materials relating to the Monon and railroads in general, such as magazines, brochures and pamphlets; advertisements; clippings; annual reports; shipping statements and bills of lading; expense books; timetables; bound volumes of engine mileage and passenger car records; stock certificates; employee materials including pension lists; tickets; and reports and clippings on accidents. The collection also documents the financial status of the railroad through its various mergers.
New Albany and Salem Railroad Company. Payroll Ledger, 1855-1865. BV 3428. One bound volume, one pamphlet. Collection guide online. The New Albany and Salem Railroad Company was chartered in 1847 in Providence (now Borden). The railroad went into receivership in 1858 and was renamed the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad in 1859. In 1897, the company was reorganized as the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railway Company. The name was changed to “Monon” in 1956. The collection includes one payroll ledger for the New Albany and Salem Railroad Company (1855-1857), and a pamphlet titled “Douw D. Williamson, Trustee vs. New Albany and Salem Railroad.” The pamphlet addresses the company’s financial status and the role of receivership trustee Douw D. Williamson.
New York Central Railroad Company. New York Central System Photographs: James Whitcomb Riley Train, 1941. P 0027. One folder. Collection guide online. Railroads that comprised parts of the New York Central Railroad system began operating in 1850. The Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Lafayette line began operations in the late 1860s and was extended to Chicago in 1873 on Illinois Central trackage. During the 1940s, New York Central passenger trains made six daily round trips between Indianapolis and Chicago. The line was abandoned in early 1976. The collection contains 13 black-and-white photographs that document the introduction of the James Whitcomb Riley diesel passenger train on the New York Central Railway line in April 1941. The photographs appear to have been made for publicity reasons, possibly by Ed Nowack, the official photographer for the New York Central system during the 1940s. Exterior photographs show the streamline diesel locomotive and dignitaries at the dedication ceremony. The dignitaries include Gov. Henry F. Schricker and Gov. Schricker’s wife, Mari. The place of the dedication is not noted. Interior photographs show passengers and crew in the day coach, dining car and club car.
New York Central Railroad Company. Time Books, 1937-1957. M 0734. Four folders. Collection guide online. The collection consists of eight time record books kept for the New York Central Railroad Company between 1937 and 1957. The books list information about particular trains and may have been kept at the dispatcher’s office in Indianapolis.
New York Central System. Stock Certificates, 1840-1910. M 0230, OM 0119. One manuscript box, one oversized folder. Collection guide online. The collection includes stock and bond certificates, mainly from railroad companies that became part of the New York Central System.
Newby, Thomas T. (Thomas Thornburg), 1834-1919. Diary, 1868-1869. SC 2526. One folder. Collection guide online. Newby’s family were anti-slavery Quakers who moved from North Carolina to Ripley Township, Rush County. After the Civil War, he took an extended trip to visit family in High Point, N.C. The collection consists of Newby’s trip diary, December 1868 to March 1869, detailing travel, mostly by rail, from Knightstown through Virginia to North Carolina. He discusses the number of miles traveled daily, the cost of tickets and details of life while visiting.
Nickel Plate Railroad Collection, 1934-1949. SC 2737. Two folders. Collection guide online. The first rails of the Nickel Plate Railroad (New York, Chicago & St. Louis) were laid between Arcadia and McComb, Ohio and the first train was run over the road in October 1882. The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern quickly realized the value of the Nickel Plate and purchased the road, holding controlling interest until July 1916. By June 1922, the Nickel Plate operated 523 miles of track between Chicago and Buffalo. In July 1922, the Nickel Plate more than doubled the miles of track it operated by securing control of the Lake Erie & Western Railroad Company whose 707 miles of track were added. Another 453 miles were added when an affiliation with the Cloverleaf (Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad) was started. In 1949, the Nickel Plate Road leased the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway which it had controlled for a number of years. This line gave the Nickel Plate a financially stable railroad that was a consistent money maker. In the late 50s, the Nickel Plate found itself in a precarious competitive position. The potential merger of the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad forecasted competitive and financial disaster for the Nickel Plate. Looking for a strong ally in the merger conscious East, the Nickel Plate merged with Norfolk & Western to the benefit of both railroads. The Akron, Canton & Youngstown and the Pittsburgh & West Virginia railroads were forced to ask for inclusion in the new system. After more than four years of hearings and planning, the merger became a reality in October 1964. The collection consists of train order #41 which was for #98 at Redkey. It is identified as the last order from W.L. Bailey. Blueprints of passenger car equipment for the Nickel Plate Road with revisions for 1934, 1938 and 1948 are also included.
Northern Indiana Historical Society. Warwick: A History of the Midwestern Rural Village, 1995-1996. M 0685. One manuscript box. Collection guide online. This project was completed as part of an Indiana Heritage Research Grant awarded to the Northern Indiana Historical Society. The collection contains a project abstract, nine oral history transcripts and summaries of telephone interviews. Topics include the South Bend and Southern Railroad.