Jewish Community Center Collection (Indianapolis), 1852–1981. M 0349. Six manuscript boxes, one half-size photograph box, two oversize photograph folders in flat files, two oversize graphic folders in flat files, one printed item. Collection guide online. The first Jewish Community Center buildings in Indianapolis were the Nathan Morris House (1904) and the Communal Building (1913). Owned by the Jewish Federation, both were focused on serving the immigrant and indigent Jewish populations on the south side of the city. By the mid-1920s, as Jews prospered and immigrants became acculturated, the Jewish Federation decided to establish a new JCC on the more prosperous north side of Indianapolis, opening the Kirshbaum Center in 1926. Following WWII, both the Communal Building and the Kirshbaum Center were closed, replaced by the Jewish Center in 1958, which still serves the Indianapolis Jewish Community today. The Jewish Community Center collection is comprised of materials not only from the JCC but also from various agencies within the Jewish Federation which heads the JCC. Among the materials, researchers will find items related to those community centers that predated the JCC such as the Communal Building and the Kirshbaum Center. The bulk dates of the materials center around the 1950s through the 1960s and end by the early 1980s when the collection was donated. Almost all the materials focus on Indianapolis where the Jewish Community Center is located.
Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis Records, 1880–Ongoing. M 0463, OMB 0013, CT 0568-0572, M0967, OM 0472, M1017. M0463 is 359 manuscript boxes, one oversize box, four cassette tapes, three photograph boxes, one color photograph box, one OVA photographs folder, one OVC graphics box, one oversize graphic in flat file storage, one box of 4 x 5 polyester negatives, one 8 x 10 acetate negative. Collection guide online. M0967 is 41 manuscript boxes, 3 OM folders, 1 oversize graphic in flat file storage. Collection guide online. M1017 is 10 manuscript boxes, 2 OVB manuscript folders, 3 OVC manuscript folders, 10 black andwhite photograph boxes, 1 OVB black and white photograph folder, 7 color photograph boxes, 1 slide box, 1 bound volume. No collection guide available. The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis was established in 1905 as the Jewish Federation to centralize fund raising and allocate funds to support local and national Jewish organizations. The federation provided services to the poor in the Jewish immigrant community through financial support, employment opportunities,health care and assistance in adjusting to American life. In 1948 the Jewish Federation and the Jewish Welfare Fund were combined and reorganized to form the Jewish Welfare Federation of Indianapolis. The Federation continues to support the needs of the United Jewish Appeal, local organizations, and overseas and national agencies. Financial support is received from the annual JWF campaign, the United Way, membership dues, fees from local Jewish agencies and the endowment. This is the library’s largest collection, with more than 400 boxes of material separated into three parts (M0463, M0967, M1017). Collection M0463 is the largest of the three, containing correspondence, records, special event materials, fund raising information and printed materials related to various predecessor and affiliate organizations of the Jewish Federation dating from 1903 to the present. Collection M0967 is a continuation of M0463, with materials dating from 1965 to 1995. Materials in this collection include correspondence to and from the Jewish Federation and numerous other related organizations and individuals, meeting minutes from various affiliated organizations, and fund raising materials and correspondence for campaigns. Collection M1017 is the most recent addition of JFGI material. This collection contains committee minute books, records, printed materials, correspondence, financial records, architectural drawings and floor plans, and the materials of various individuals, as well as predecessor and affiliate organization of the JFGI. This collection also includes 17 boxes of photographs and one box of slides.
Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana Materials, 1975–2004. M 0909. One manuscript box, one OMB manuscript box. Collection guide online. The Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana is a conglomerate of various regional Jewish Federations (Hammond, Gary, and East Chicago). The mergers occurred in the 1950s and 1960s. They are located in Munster in northwest Indiana. Scholarships, a food pantry, services for the youth and elderly are some of the programs instituted at the Jewish Federation. Services are not limited to the Jewish community. Illiana News, a monthly publication by the Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana printed its first issue in 1975. This collection contains correspondence addressed to Trent D. Pendley, the past president of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society, from institutions and organizations inviting Mr. Pendley to various programs and events. Miscellaneous materials include 15 business cards from various businesses in northwest Indiana, a 1981 Jewish Welfare Fund-Project Renewal Fund Campaign Pledge listing, a Sinai Temple bulletin, tourist information for Lake County, newspaper clippings chronicling the Jewish community of Northwest Indiana and Temple Israel Yearbooks. Issues of Illiana News from 1975 to 2004 are contained in the oversize manuscript box.
Jewish War Veterans of the USA Post 114, Indianapolis Collection, 1993–2002. M 0965. One half-size manuscript box, one box of colored photographs. Collection guide online. The Jewish War Veterans of the USA was established in 1896 and is the oldest veterans group in the United States. The JWV holds a Congressional charter under Title 36 of the United States Code. Today, the group separates its activities into four categories: patriotic, Jewish, service and affinity. Generally, the JWV engage in advocacy to preserve religious freedom and separation of church and state as it relates to the US military. In 1934, the JWV national organization approved the charter of Indianapolis Post #114. This collection is divided into three series. Series 1 contains meeting announcements, original charter, meeting minutes, letters from new members introducing themselves, materials relating to the history of JWV and other miscellaneous letters and JWV documents. Series 2 contains various printed materials from the JWV post, including promotional pamphlets, envelope art and JWV Post 114 letter head. Series 3 contains assorted color photographs of various events, banquets, meetings, Memorial Day celebrations and hospital visits.
Jewish Women International, Indianapolis Chapter Materials, 1962–2002. M 0911, OMB 0111. Four manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript box, one box of photographs, one box of color photographs, 12 artifacts. Collection guide online. B’nai B’rith is a national Jewish fraternal organization for men founded in 1843. Jewish women formed an auxiliary group by 1909. In 1940, the national B’nai B’rith Women organization was born, dropping the term “auxiliary.” In 1953, women delegates were allowed to vote in national B’nai B’rith conventions, and by 1957, the name B’nai B’rith Women became official. In 1996, the name B’nai B’rith Women was dropped in favor of the more inclusive term Jewish Women International. Like its male counterpart, B’nai B’rith Women was a social and philanthropic organization with a focus on women’s issues such as children’s welfare, domestic violence and women’s rights. Locally, Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Women Chapter 324 was first chartered in 1941 and folded in 2002. Most materials in this collection relate to the Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Women Chapter 324, with other items originating from the Menorah Chapter 924 and from the B’nai B’rith Women national organization. Materials include yearbooks, scrapbooks, program and event materials, awards, operational records, meeting minutes, directories, membership rosters, correspondence, chapter bulletins, newspaper clippings and various printed materials. The oversize manuscript box contains five folders of scrapbooks from 1969 through 1974. There are two document cases of visual materials containing black-and-white and color photographs. Artifacts include two tablecloths and one page of artifacts (12 pins).
Michigan City Jewish Archives Collection, 1919–2008. M 1009. One manuscript box, one DVD. Collection guide online. Sinai Temple is located at 2800 Franklin St., Michigan City, Ind. It is a member of the Union for Reform Judaism. The history of Sinai Temple dates back to 1904, when the first reform Jewish services were held in Michigan City. In 1912 to 1913, a congregation under the leadership of Moses Moritz adopted the name “Sinai Congregation.” After an increase in membership post-World War II, a new Temple Center imperative emerged, leading to the construction of the current Temple building (which opened in May 1953). This collection contains a variety of materials related to the Indiana Jewish Historical Society and the Sinai Temple of Michigan City. The collection contains scrapbook pages which have newspaper clippings, pamphlets, photographs and Sinai Temple confirmation services programs that all relate to the family of Dr. B.H. Kaplan. Other materials in the collection are photocopies of two handwritten documents and photographs, two Indiana Jewish Historical Society mailings from 2008, a blank card and 11 2008 issues of the Sinai Temple Bulletin. The final item in this collection is a compact disc which contains the “Citizens Bank Interview” of Irving Levin (1909 to 1978).
National Conference of Christians and Jews Records, 1962–1980. M 0360. Eight manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. The Indiana regional organization of National Conference of Christians and Jews has been in existence since at least 1955. There is a board of about 25 members. A distinct effort is made to balance various groups on the board, which includes well-known civic leaders. Principal sources of revenue are memberships, both corporate and individual, and an annual Brotherhood Dinner which not only gives awards but raises funds. For adults, the principal NCCJ programs have been organized dialogues between different groups – Clergy-Business, Black-Jewish, Labor-Management and Interfaith; conferences on subjects like criminal justice, affirmative action and the Holocaust; and Brotherhood dinners and awards. For young adults, there has been an ongoing program of High School Human Relations Councils and Awards, as well as a Peer Leadership program and a Youth Council. For younger children there is a continuing Green Circle program. This collection, filling eight manuscript boxes, consists of minutes, correspondence, circulars and programs from the period 1962 to 1980. It is arranged by organization and function chronologically. Series 1 contains records of the Indiana regional office of NCCJ, from 1964 to 80 with heavy emphasis on the years 1977 to 1979. Among the related items are correspondence from 1978 to 1979; monthly program reports for the years 1964 to 1977, and papers from individual conferences and dialogues. There also is a complete account of the membership campaigns of 1978 and 1979. Related items from other Indiana cities include an incomplete file of the regional newsletter, as well as accounts of early activity in Fort Wayne and South Bend. Series 2 contains material from the national organization such as workshops, correspondence newsletters and correspondence, 1979. Series 3 includes materials from related organizations at the local and national level.
Rabbi Neustadt United Hebrew School Minute Book Photocopies, 1900–1922. SC 2644. One manuscript folder. Collection guide online. The United Hebrew School opened in Indianapolis on Nov. 12, 1911. Rabbi Isaac Elhanan Neustadt was principally responsible for establishing the school. Rabbi Neustadt's intention was to provide Hebrew education to all Jewish children in Indianapolis. Classes met in the Sharah Tefilla synagogue on the south side and in the Ohev Zedeck synagogue on the north side (Market Street). Instructions were given in Hebrew, and the staff employed the latest teaching methods. When Rabbi Neustadt died in 1913, the school name was changed to the Rabbi Neustadt United Hebrew Schools. Around 1925, the program's name was changed to the Jewish Educational Association. This collection is comprised of photocopies of the minutes of the United Hebrew School's board of directors, Oct. 25,1911 to Feb. 20, 1920. The book also includes a listing of board members and their attendance records, financial records, correspondence and the Proceedings of the Third Annual Convention of the Federation of American Zionists in New York, 1900.
State of Israel Bonds Organization, Indiana Records, 1948–2005. M 0932, OM 0457, CT 2060-2066. Eight manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript folder, seven audio cassettes, two boxes of photographs, five boxes of color photographs, 17 artifacts. Collection guide online. The State of Israel Bonds Organization was founded in 1951 with the purpose of selling securities issued by Israel’s government in order to fund the development of a national infrastructure in the wake of Israel’s War of Independence. Locally, the State of Israel Bonds, Indiana office opened in 1951 and closed in 2005. Michael Blain represented the Indianapolis office for 31 years (1974 to 2005). Dinners were held annually to sell bonds and to honor local Jewish community leaders. In 2003, Indiana invested $5 million in Israeli bonds, and again in 2007. A women’s division of the State of Israel Bonds organization formed in 1954 and remained active through the 1960s and 1970s, but failed to gain new members in the later decades of the 1980s and 1990s and consequently disintegrated. This collection is divided into five major series. The first series includes all written records relating to the State of Israel Bonds office (newspaper clipping, programs and invitations, business cards, stickers, speeches and oversize posters and awards). Series two consists of videocassettes. Series three contains color and black and white photographs, primarily of the annual Israel Bond drive dinners (series also include negatives). Series four consists of audio cassettes (CT 2060–2066), which are recordings of the Israel Bond dinners. Series five is 17 artifacts ranging from medals to flags.
The Workmen’s Circle, Indianapolis Branch 175 Minute Book, 1918–1926. BV 1974. One bound volume. Collection guide online. Toward the end of the 19th century, Jewish emigration from Eastern Europe to the United States reached explosive proportions. These Jewish immigrants faced exploitative labor practices, blighted and overcrowded tenements, ethnic rivalries and the daunting job of assimilating into an unfamiliar new culture. Recognizing the importance of facing these challenges with a unified front, and feeling the resonance of traditional and deeply held Jewish values emphasizing community and social justice, a convocation of progressive-minded immigrants gathered in 1900 to found Der Arbeter Ring – in English, The Workmen's Circle. This collection is comprised of one bound volume, which is a minute book of the Indianapolis Branch 175 of The Workmen’s Circle. The minute book dates from 1918 to 1926. Written entirely in Yiddish, there are some loose papers inserted throughout the book.