B’nai B’rith Indiana Materials, 1956–1993. M 0902, OM 0443. Two manuscript boxes, two oversized folders, one folder of photographs. Collection guide online. The B'nai B'rith was founded in New York in 1843 with the purposes of intensifying and raising the level of Jewish community life. As a fraternal organization, its interests are cultural, philanthropic, political and social. The name means "Sons of the Covenant." The B'nai B'rith Abraham Lodge No. 58 was founded in Indianapolis in 1864; the Esther Lodge No. 323 was established in the 1880s. The two groups merged in 1907 to1908 to form the Indianapolis Lodge. The Women's Auxiliary Lodge began in 1940. Of all the local Jewish organizations established during the 1860s and 1870s, only the B'nai B'rith remains active today. This collection has been divided into three series: 1) B’nai B’rith Indiana State Associations Annual Conventions, 2) B’nai B’rith Women Indiana State Association and 3) B’nai B’rith Men Indianapolis Lodge #58. Series 1 contains convention programs and agendas, biographies, fliers, finances, newsletters and reports. There are also some member photographs and oversized manuscript folders with the B’nai B’rith logo and newspaper clippings. Series 2 contains meeting minutes, programs and yearbooks from the B’nai B’rith Women Indiana Council and the State Association. Series 3 contains membership rosters, newsletters, correspondence and newspaper clippings of Indianapolis Lodge #58.
B’nai B’rith Lodge # 58 Records, 1923–1944. M 0362. Three manuscript boxes. Collection Guide in library. The B'nai B'rith was founded in New York in 1843 with the purposes of intensifying and raising the level of Jewish community life. As a fraternal organization, its interests are cultural, philanthropic, political and social. The name means "Sons of the Covenant." The B'nai B'rith Abraham Lodge No. 58 was founded in Indianapolis in 1864; the Esther Lodge No. 323 was established in the 1880s. The two groups merged in 1907 to 1908 to form the Indianapolis Lodge. The Women's Auxiliary Lodge began in 1940. Of all the local Jewish organizations established during the 1860s and 1870s, only the B'nai B'rith remains active today. The collection is comprised of minutes dating from 1923 to 1944, originally filed in seven notebooks.The minutes include records of regular and executive meetings, budgets, financial reports, officer lists, committee lists, new member lists, presidential reports, correspondence and bylaw amendments. Topics include the A.Z.A., the Hillel Foundation, the Americanization and employment of refugees, gifts to charitable organizations, social service activities, an anti-Klan program and the organization's fight against anti-Semitism.
Deb-Ette Club Records, 1937–1986. M 0898. One manuscript box, one box of color photographs, one OVA box of photographs, two OVA boxes of color photographs, four artifacts. Collection guide online. Deb-Ette Club, a Jewish sorority made up of high school female students from all over Indianapolis (including Broad Ripple High School, Tudor Hall, Shortridge and Carmel Clay) existed from 1937 until the late 1980s.The Deb-Ette Club was primarily a social club but also promoted philanthropic and academic activities. Members held meetings in their homes. Records include six scrapbooks, member photographs, membership rosters, constitution and miscellaneous material. The collection contains four artifacts: two plaques, one trophy and one gavel.
Fort Wayne Jewish Federation Records, 1932–1981. M 0843, OM 0423. Eighteen manuscript boxes, three oversize folders, three folders of photographs. Collection guide online. The Fort Wayne Jewish Federation, like other federations, was intended to bring together the entire Jewish community. Founded in 1921 as the Fort Wayne Federation of Jewish Charities, it became the Fort Wayne Jewish Federation in 1936. The Federation was founded to coordinate fundraising and relief efforts, but has today expanded its mission to fight prejudice, educate about Jewish interests and strengthen community ties. The collection consists of approximately 5 cubic feet of the Federation’s files, the bulk of which are from the 1930s–1950s. The original order and folder names have been retained. The collection has been divided into two series; Administrative Records and Casework. The first series includes bound financial statements, meeting minutes, correspondence and files on Fort Wayne Jewish organizations.The second series contains the records of individuals assisted by the Federation in the 1930s through 1960s.
Greenwald, Indianapolis B’nai B’rith Collection, 1949–2001. M 1008. Two manuscript boxes, one OVA manuscript box, one OVB manuscript box, one box of photographs. Collection guide online. Aleph Zadik Aleph was first organized in Omaha, Nebraska in 1923 by attorney Sam Beber. He began the Jewish boys club with the hope that the organization would help strengthen their loyalty and respect for both their Jewish heritage and their American citizenship. As AZA grew, Beber sought sponsorship from B’nai B’rith International. In response to the growth of AZA, girls groups began to form throughout the country, often funded by local women’s chapters of B’nai B’rith. As original members of both AZA and BBG grew older, B’nai B’rith Young Women’s and Young Men’s groups began to form. In May 1944, the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization was created to oversee all four groups. This collection contains a wide range of materials relating to Indianapolis chapters of Aleph Zadik Aleph, B’nai B’rith Girls, B’nai B’rith Youth Organization and B’nai B’rith. Materials include membership lists, minutes from chapter meetings, photographs, scrapbook pages, newspaper clippings, by-laws, awards, event memorabilia and print materials. Donated by Sheila Greenwald in 2006, the bulk of the collection consists of scrapbook pages, photographs and personal notes from Sheila Greenwald and her daughter Rochelle.
Hadassah Chapters of Lake County, Indiana Records, 1939–1978. M 0921. Four manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Hadassah, a women’s Zionist organization, was founded in New York City in 1912 by Henrietta Szold. Hadassah’s aim was “the propagation of Zionism in America, and the establishment of health and welfare for women and children in Palestine.” The Hadassah chapter in Hammond, Indiana was established in 1926. The group funded charities in Palestine and a hospital which was to become the most advanced medical institution in the Middle East. They supported the establishment of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The Hadassah chapter in Munster formed in 1969.The Illiana chapter formed in 1975. The majority of the records in this collection date from the 1960s. The bulk of Box 1 contains bulletins from the Hammond, Illiana, and Gary chapters. The finance records in this file include one statement of receipts and disbursement, a receipt and four donation cards. Boxes 2 and 3 hold yearbooks beginning in 1939 and ending in 1976, with some issues missing. Miscellaneous materials included in Box 4 contain two raffle tickets, an award and tree sales records.
Hasten Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis Materials, 1971–2005. M 0906, OM 0444. Four manuscript boxes, one oversized folder, two folders of photographs, one OVA folder of color photographs, one panoramic color photograph in flat file storage. Collection guide online. The opening of the Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis coincided with a national movement to re-establish Jewish day schools, which took the place of public schools. The Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis opened its doors on Sept. 7, 1971. Initial enrollment consisted of 20 students in kindergarten through first grade. Classes were held at B’nai Torah for the next five-and-a-half years. In March 1977, after completion of a new school building, the Hebrew Academy moved to its current location. The Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis changed its name in 1996 to the Hasten Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis. The Hasten Hebrew Academy combines religious and secular instruction. Materials in this collection range in date from 1971, when the Hebrew Academy of Indianapolis was founded, to 2005. Box 1 contains the constitution and by-laws, state accreditation documents, correspondence, newspaper clippings, Academy News publications and miscellaneous papers. The miscellaneous documents include school calendars, programs, awards and a mission statement. Box 2 contains some of the HAI’s yearbooks beginning with 1975 and ending with 2005. Box 3 and 4 contain the annual HAI award Souvenir Journals beginning with 1972 and running through 2005. The collection also contains various oversize printed materials and oversize color photographs.
Hillel Foundation at Purdue University Records, 1946–1994. M 0878, OM 0436. Eighteen manuscript boxes, four oversized folders, three boxes of photographs, one box of color photographs, one artifact. Collection guide online. Hillel, a campus organization for Jewish college students, was founded in 1923 at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign and began to expand nationwide with the support of B’nai B’rith in 1924. Its purpose is to offer a broad variety of Jewish-related social, cultural and religious activities to all Jewish students, bringing together and providing for the needs of students of different religious and ethnic backgrounds. In September 1939, the “Purdue Union of Jewish Youth” in West Lafayette became an official chapter of the Hillel organization. In 1951, Purdue Hillel moved into a new building at 912 State St., where it remains today. This collection has been divided into five series: 1) Committee for Human Rights in the Soviet Union, 2) Holocaust Remembrance Conference, 3) Newsletters, 4) Correspondence and Administration and 5) General Materials. The collection contains accounts of activities and events relating to the different committees, correspondence, letters and drafts for many newsletters, along with the final printed materials, and items relating to various individuals involved in the organization.
Indiana Jewish Historical Society Collection, 1845–2009. M 0743 OMB 0082, BV 3326-3376, F 1309-1349, CT 0902-0931, R 2416-2431, M1016. M0743 is 138 manuscript boxes, two oversize boxes, 50 bound volumes, 41 reels of microfilm, 30 cassette tapes, two video recordings, 16 artifacts. Collection guide online. M1016: Two manuscript boxes, nine DVDs. Collection guide online. The Indiana Jewish Historical Society was founded in 1972 to collect, preserve and publish material involving 200 years of Jewish life in Indiana. The organization aims to gather and preserve the records of synagogues, temples and societies. In doing so, the IJHS aims to provide data not always available to historians, scholars and authors, thus helping to provide an awareness of the role played by Jews and Jewish communities in the creation of the religious climate of Indiana. This collection is separated into two parts (M0743, M1016). Collection M0743, the larger of the two, is divided into four major series. The first series includes records from the Fort Wayne Jewish community; series two is from the Indianapolis community; series three represents all other Indiana cities and towns that have contributed information to the Indiana Jewish Historical Society; and series four contains records from statewide organizations. Materials in this collection include: Jewish life cycle demonstrations, such as Bar Mitzvah certificates, Confirmation certificates, Katubbot (marriage contracts); personal memorabilia, scrapbooks and diaries; burial and cemetery records; government documents such as naturalization records; newspaper and magazine articles; and photographs. Collection M1016 has been split into four series. Series 1 details the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation Cemetery Project and includes maps, photographs of cemeteries and the project team, as well as 10 DVDs containing photographs and documents related to the project. The other three series (Individuals, Temple B’nai Israel Materials, and Miscellaneous Jewish Organizations Materials) include news clippings, pamphlets, brochures, handouts, temple directories, newsletters, mailings, membership directories, calendars, the CD Echoes and Reflections: A Multimedia Curriculum on the Holocaust, which was produced by the Anti-Defamation League, and a collection of 10 Temple B’nai Israel yarmulkes,