Baum, Bernard Recollections, 1903. SC 1745. One manuscript folder. Collection guide in library. Bernard Baum was born on Nov. 7, 1822, in Simmern under Dhaun, Germany. He was married on May 15, 1850. Baum immigrated to the United States in 1852, where he became a traveling merchant in Louisville, Ky. In 1854, Baum opened his first store. In 1856, Baum and his family moved to Henderson, where he set up a second dry goods store. In 1863, Baum moved his family to Evansville in order to escape the danger that Civil War fighting presented. He kept the store in Henderson, opening another in Evansville. In 1873, business was bad and Baum sold his store in Henderson. On May 10, 1888, Bernard and his wife moved to San Francisco. This collection is contained in one legal-sized manuscript folder, which contains a typed transcript titled “Recollection of Bernard Baum.” This manuscript is written as a letter by Bernard Baum addressed to his children. Written from Oct. 15, 1902 to Jan. 18, 1903, this letter covers all of the main events of Bernard Baum’s life up to 1903.
Blain, Michael A. Materials, 1937–2010. M 1011. One manuscript box, two OVA manuscript folders, two photograph folders, one DVD, one audio cassette, one VHS tape, six artifacts. Collection Guide online. Michael A. Blain was born Maylech Blobstein on March 2, 1928, in a village in Czechoslovakia. Of Blain’s family, all but Blain and his brother Sam were killed during the Holocaust. Blain moved to the US in 1949. After moving to Cleveland in 1957, Blain was president of his B’nai B’rith lodge and a very active member of B’nai B’rith International. He has also been distinguished for his work as editor of the Cleveland Craftsman. Since moving to Indianapolis in 1971, Blain has served on the boards of Beth-El Zedeck, B’nai Torah, JFGL, JEA/BJE, JCRC,Lubavitch of Indiana and the Hasten Hebrew Academy. He is also past president of Keren L’Israel Investment Club, and a founder of the Indianapolis Yiddish Club. Blain is most widely known for his work as head of the Indiana-Illinois Regional Office of Israel Bonds from 1973 to 2006. During his tenure there, Blain’s office generated some $100 million investment capital for Israel. Materials in this collection include Blain’s personal papers: biographical materials, certificates letters, clippings, articles, pamphlets, programs, photographs and other miscellaneous papers. The collection also includes six plaques/awards, one videocassette, one DVD, one audio cassette, two passports, one prayer book, 32 business/ID/membership cards, and one photograph of Haifa. The collection is broken into four series: 1) Biographical and Personal Materials, 2) Photographs and 3) Awards and Honors.
Blumenthal, Minnie Collection, ca. 1907–1983. SC 2887. One manuscript folder. No collection guide available. Minnie Blumenthal was born in Marion in January 1879. Minnie was the daughter of Morrisand Ida Blumenthal. Born in Germany, Morris became a merchant in Marion, and he also built the Blumenthal building on courthouse square in that city. Morris Blumenthal was one of the only Jewish merchants in Marion at the time. On June 21, 1900, Minnie married the assistant district attorney of New York City, Maurice B. Blumenthal (1870–1948). Maurice was a central player in the Tammany Hall political scene of New York City, becoming Deputy Attorney Generalof New York State in 1903. Maurice was a prominent Jewish figure in New York City, being the grandson of Simon Blumenthal, first Rabbi Congregation Rodeph Shalom. This is a small collection of items which Minnie Blumenthal gave to A. Gene Resneck of Kokomo in 1977. The collection includes a menu printed on silk from a 1907 banquet in benefit of Maurice’s political career in New York City. There is also a photograph of Minnie. Along with these items is the photocopy of a statement, written by Resneck, which describes the items in the collection and the occasion of Minnie gifting them to her. The photocopy also includes some handwritten biographical information about Minnie Blumenthal and her father. The entire collection is kept in one legal-size file folder.
Deckelbaum, Nahoma F. Collection, ca. 1916–1971. SC 2888. One manuscript folder, one photograph folder. Collection guide online. Nahoma Deckelbaum was born Nahoma Schneider on Feb. 10, 1922. Nahoma married Charles B. Feiblemanof Indianapolis on Feb. 1, 1941. Charles was the son of Isidore and Ella Feibleman. Isidore was active in Indianapolis area B’nai B’rith International and founded the law firm of Bamberger and Feibleman in 1898. By the time of his death in 1971, Charles was a senior member of this law firm. Charles Feibleman was very active in the Indianapolis Jewish community, serving as president of the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, as well as the B’nai B’rith Lodge No. 58. He also served on the board of the Jewish Welfare Federation. He died of cancer on March 5, 1971. After Charles’ death, Nahoma married William Deckelbaum (Nov. 26, 1972). Items in this collection primarily relate to Charles B. Feibleman of Indianapolis. Materials include an obituary news clipping and the clipping of a story about Charles Feibleman’s service during WWII. There are also two pictures of Charles’ father, Isidore Feibleman. One is a portrait and the other is an image taken the B’nai B’rith Initiation at the Claypool Hotel (1916). Another item relating to Charles Feibleman is a poster for the Kirshbaum drama workshop presentation of Arsenic and Old Lace. The collection also includes a news clipping announcing a reception celebrating the 75th birthday of Rabbi Morris M. Feuerlicht as well as the 50th anniversary of his move to Indianapolis (1954).
Einstandig, Max Collection, 1880–2009. M 0842, OMB 0100, M 1015. M 0842 is 13 manuscript boxes, one oversize box, two folders of photographs, one folder of color photographs, one flat file, three artifacts. Collection guide online. M 1015 is seven manuscript boxes, one OMB boxes, one OVC folder, one box of photographs, one artifact. No collection guide available. Max Einstandig was born in Vienna, Austria, on June 15, 1912, to Jacob and Yetta Einstandig. He came to the United States on July 10, 1914, settling with his family in Indianapolis. In 1934, Max married Bess Peltz; they had three children. He sold furniture in South Bend and Chicago, then in 1946 to 1947 opened JEBB’s (the name created from the first names of his wife and his three children) in Terre Haute. Max Einstandig was heavily involved in Jewish community organizations at the local and national levels, most notably B’nai B’rith and the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith. Einstandig was a founder of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society. Max Einstandig died on Nov. 12, 2006. This collection is separated into two parts (M0842, M1015). Collection M0842 contains Einstandig’s personal work papers, as well as material distributed by and about the various Jewish organizations of Indiana. The collection is divided into five series; covering four significant organizations (Indiana Jewish Historical Society,B’nai B’rith, Hillel and B’nai B’rith Youth Organization, and the Anti-Defamation League) and miscellaneous papers. Collection M1015 is an addition to M0842. It also contains the personal and business files of Max Einstandig, but also includes personal memorabilia of Max and Bess Einstandig and their extended families, along with items related to the Jewish community of Terre Haute, specifically the Jewish War Veterans chapter.
Endelman, Judith E. Papers, 1978–1984. M 0814, CT 2078-2084. Six manuscript boxes, one photograph box, one color photograph, six negatives, seven audio cassettes. Collection guide online. In 1982, Judith Endelman moved to Bloomington, Indiana, and was an assistant librarian at the Lilly Library of Indiana University. Since 1986, she has worked at the Henry Ford Museum, where she is currently director of the Benson Ford Research Center. In 1979, Endelman was hired by the Jewish Welfare Federation in Indianapolis to edit a history of the Indianapolis Jewish community. Work and research continued on the book until its publication by the Indiana University Press in 1984. This collection contains the notes and resources used by Judith Endelman in the writing of her book, The Jewish Community of Indianapolis: 1849 to the Present. The collection has been divided into four series: 1) Research and Resources, 2) Writings and Presentations, 3) Research Notes and 4) Photographs.
Fleck, Henry Letters, 1941–1945. M 0765. Three manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Henry Fleck (1915–1981) was a native of Marion, where he opened a legal practice. Early in 1942, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps. Fleck served in Europe as a radio operator and was in charge of a cryptographic section for the 8th TAC Air Command Squadron, attaining the rank of sergeant. After the war Fleck returned to Marion, and became a partner in a ladies’ clothing store owned by his parents, Samuel and Lillie Hutner Fleck, and founded by his grandparents, called "The Paris." In 1948, he married Betty Holland, and the couple had two children. Henry Fleck died in Houston of liver cancer in 1981. The collection consists of approximately 485 letters primarily written by Henry Fleck to his parents in Marion while serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. The letters begin during Tech School Squadron training at Jefferson Barracks Missouri, (March through May 1942), and continuing at Richmond, Virginia (June through December 1942). The letters are of a general nature focusing on off-duty activities, including those pertaining to his Jewish faith. Fleck also wrote from England, France, Brussels and Germany as he traveled during the war. Other letters in the collection include those to his relatives, along with a few from his relatives to his parents and two from rabbis serving with the Army relaying impressions of Henry Fleck and his devotion to his faith.
Freeman, Julian Collection, 1932–1978. M 0356, OM 0463, F 1712. Three manuscript boxes, one oversize manuscript folder, one microfilm, two folders of photographs, one folder of color photographs, eight pamphlets. Collection guide online. Julian Freeman (1897–1980), a prominent businessman, became an influential community activist within the local and national Jewish community. He married an Indianapolis woman Esther Freeman and made Indianapolis his permanent home in 1926. Freeman was president of his synagogue Beth El-Zedeck. Julian Freeman served as president of the Indianapolis Jewish Welfare Fund, the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, and of the Indianapolis Jewish Welfare Federation. Freeman was also a founder of the National Foundation for Jewish Culture and the National Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council. This collection includes three manuscript boxes. Box 1 contains correspondence and two manuscripts.The remaining two boxes contain materials from the various local and national Jewish organizations that Freeman was a member of. The bulk dates for the materials are from 1960 to 1978. Photographs in the collection show the groundbreaking and cornerstone ceremony for the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation in the late 1950s and the Jewish Community Center and the buildings that preceded it. The oversize folder contains a scrapbook of newspaper clippings relating to the Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Advisory Council. The printed items consist of eight pamphlets.
Heppner, Ernest G. Collection, ca. 1962–2001. M 0978, OMB 0117. One manuscript box, one oversize manuscript box, two folders of photographs, two folders of color photographs, 10 VHS tapes. Collection guide online. Ernest Heppner was born in Breslau, Germany in 1921. In 1939, amidst persecution of the Jewish people in Germany, he and his mother fled to Shanghai, China. He was interned in the Shanghai Ghetto by Japanese armed forces after Pearl Harbor and liberated by U.S. troops at the end of WWII. In 1947, he came to the U.S. and settled in Indianapolis. In 1993, Heppner authored the book, Shanghai Refuge: A Memoir of the World War II Jewish Ghetto. Heppner made many speeches, gave lectures and wrote articles about the Holocaust, extremism and racism. He was active in a number of different organizations including the Anti-Defamation League and the Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council. Heppner died on Oct. 6, 2004. This collection is divided into two series. Series one contains information about Ernest Heppner’s speeches, awards and book publication. It begins with some copies of speeches that Heppner made with some photographs from those events. Three folders (4-6) contain publicity and announcements for events where Heppner was featured. The last part of this series contains a scrapbook and some loose materials that went with that. The scrapbook contains certificates, clippings, announcements, photographs and correspondence about Heppner’s accomplishments and events. Series two contains 10 VHS tapes. These were recordings of Heppner’s interviews and documentaries. The two main subjects are the Final Solution in Germany and the Ku Klux Klan in Indiana.
Nelson Family Collection, 1900–2007. M 0980. Two manuscript boxes, two oversize manuscript folders, one scrapbook (OVA), three boxes of photographs, two boxes of color photographs, one panoramic photograph. Collection guide online. This collection centers on the Harry and Frances Nelson family from Munster, originally Gary. The couple was married on June 29, 1941. They had three children, William “Billy” (born 1946), Larry (died at age 21 in 1970), and Susie (murdered at age 26 in 1976). Harry was born in May 1913 to Fanny and Wilfred Nelson (1871-1922). His brother was Jack Nelson and his sister was Nettie Nelson. Frances was born in November 1919 to Irving (d. 1965) and Rae Givens (d. 1985). Much of this collection consisted of scrapbooks and photo albums containing images and other materials that related to the lives of the Nelson family from weddings, funerals, births, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, new homes, vacations, etc. There were also certificates that were received based on achievements, service or donations from different members of the family among other miscellaneous manuscript materials. The collection is divided into four series: 1) Scrapbooks and Photo Albums, 2) Family and Congregation Events, Genealogy and Photographs, 3) Travel Plans and Photographs and 4) Newsletters.
Pendley, Trent D. Collection, 1996–2006. M 0927, M 1014. M 0927 is one half-width manuscript box. Collection guide online. M1014 is one manuscript box. No collection guide available. Trent D. Pendley became a member of the Indiana Jewish Historical Society at 18 and was elected its president in October 2003. He is now serving his sixth term in office. He is a member of Temple Israel in Miller Beach (Gary). This collection is separated into two parts (M0927, M1014). Collection M0927 contains correspondence,newspaper clippings, bulletins from Temple Israel, flyers, invitations, programs and brochures. Collection M1014 contains editorials, guest articles and printed materials written by Trent, correspondence and mailings, archives additions, newspaper clippings, and miscellaneous materials relating to Temple Israel, the Jewish Federation of Northwest Indiana, and the Anti-Defamation League.
Rauh, Samuel E. and Charles S. Papers, 1900–1948. M 0406. Two manuscript boxes. Collection guide online. Samuel Elias Rauh (1853-1935) was born in Germersheim, Bavaria, Germany. He immigrated to Dayton, Ohio, with his mother and six siblings in 1866. In 1874, Samuel came to Indianapolis to establish a branch of the family tanning firm. Samuel Rauh served as the director and president of multiple firms, most notably the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and the Stock Yards Company, of which he was Chairman of the Board until the time of his death in 1935. Samuel belonged to the Indiana Democratic Club, the Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation and was active in the American Jewish Relief Committee. Charles Sterne Rauh (1883-1956), the son of Samuel E. and Emma Sterne Rauh, was also very prominent in Indianapolis business. After working for the family business, he succeeded his father as president and chairman of the board of the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and the Stock Yards Company until his death in 1956. Charles Rauh was a noted civic worker and philanthropist, contributing especially to Jewish charities. The Samuel and Charles Rauh Papers consist of two manuscript boxes containing personal and business documents from 1900 to 1948. Most of the collection deals with Rauh's correspondence and financial affairs of a personal and business nature. The business dealings primarily involve industries in which the Rauhs held interests and/or directorships, along with documents concerning the operation of E. Rauh and Sons. Personal materials include wills, estate values, documents concerning the Rauh’s home finances, newspaper clippings and membership cards.