Gibson Company, Indianapolis, Indiana Records, 1895–1998. M 0573, OM 0253, BV 3532. Eleven manuscript boxes, seven oversize folders, one bound volume, two boxes of photographs, one oversize photo album, seven catalogs, six artifacts. Collection guide online. The Gibson Company of Indianapolis was established by Cecil Gibson in 1898 as a bicycle shop. With the rise of the automobile industry, it became chiefly concerned with the distribution of automotive accessories. The company expanded and at one time operated 23 branches in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. The Capitol Motors Division of the Gibson Company sold automobiles at the Indianapolis location to 1963. Among the other types of goods that were distributed by the Gibson Company were Norge refrigerators, Hamilton dryers and Arvin televisions. After the company changed ownership and name a few more times, the company ceased operations in 1984. The collection, made up of several individual donations of materials, contains the records of the Gibson Company and related operations and is divided into eight series: 1) Ledgers and Minute Books, 2)Contracts, 3) Catalogs, 4) Newsletters, 5) Scrapbooks and Company History, 6) Advertising Photographs, 7) Architectural Drawing and Building Specifications and 8) General Operational Records.
Kipp Brothers Company Minute Book, 1891–1944. M 0850. One manuscript box. Collection guide online. Kipp Bros. Company, now doing business as KIPP Brothers, has been a direct importer and wholesaler of novelty items since 1880. First established by Albrecht and Robert Kipp as the Kipp Brothers Partnership, they operated out of warehouses and offices at 37–41 South Meridian St. until April 2001. From its new location at 9760 Mayflower Park Drive, KIPP Brothers continues as an importer and wholesaler of toys and novelties. The collection contains one bound volume, the corporation’s minute book for the years 1893 to 1940, with some earlier and later notes included. Interleaved loose papers, including balance sheets, meeting minutes and bank paperwork, have been removed from the book and filed in folders according to where they were placed. Pages 26 through 161 of the book contain records; the rest are blank. The original Articles of Association and Bylaws, Certificate of Incorporation, and Bylaws are transcribed into the book, with amendments noted in the minutes.
Oppenheim’s Dry Goods Store Records, 1874–2000. M 0802, OMB 0112, BV 3607-3614. Seventeen manuscript folders, one OMB box, eight bound volumes, one OVA photographs folder, one negative, three books, 12 artifacts. Collection guide online. In 1875, Jacob Oppenheim opened Oppenheim’s New York Cheap Store in North Manchester. The store motto was and remained, “ ... the best place to trade, after all.” In the beginning, Jacob offered men’s, boys’ and women’s clothing, as well as groceries. The store went through several name changes until by the 1930s it was simply called Oppenheim’s. Jacob died in 1883, leaving the store to be run by his sons, Ben and Ike. Ike left the business in 1922, at which time Ben’s son Jean entered into the family business. Jean stayed until his death in 1949, his son Phil became owner and manager. The store closed in 2000. The Oppenheim store records are broken down into seven series based upon the various aspects of the operation primarily from 1874 to 1979: 1) Business/Accounting Journals, 2) Finances (Receipts, Checks, Payroll, Taxes and Bankbooks), 3) Operational Records (Employees Hours, Lease, Permits), 4) Advertisements and Catalogs, 5) Correspondence, Newspaper Clippings, and Miscellaneous, 6) Visual Materials, 7) Printed Materials and Artifacts.